PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming ideas for apps

Steffen Hiller
28 May 2010, 8:53 PM
Hi family and friends, :)

since this is my first post about Ext Touch, here's my brief first impression/feedback for now:

Ext Touch is really amazing stuff, UI and code wise! The team earns all my respect!
I started an app the first day and pretty much copied and pasted the twitter timeline code. I could scroll that dataview up and down all day long on my iPad, so amazed was I with that scrolling behavior (and the mini scrollbar). :)

Unfortunately, after that first day of excitement, I didn't get much further with developing the app.
It is/was supposed to be an app for managing and creating notes and bookmarks, with some ideas from my web app http://lli.st mixed in.
To be honest, I simply lost motivation on following this idea/keeping developing the touch and web app. At least for now.

Moreover, I don't have any client project which could make use of the framework. Lucky are the ones who do.

Therefore, I've been wondering about ideas for a useful app based on Ext Touch.
I definitely would like to play more with Ext Touch, I'm just not having a good idea for a good app right now, which on the one hand would show off Ext Touch capabilities, and on the other hand really would be useful and used by people.

Basically I just want to check if there are other peeps out their that are in a similar situation and that like to brain storm some ideas and maybe even hack together on one idea.

Cheers and a great weekend to everyone,
Steffen

mmullany
31 May 2010, 2:47 PM
Steffen, a HTML5 tag reference for the iPad would be an awesome app (IMHO)

Steffen Hiller
31 May 2010, 2:55 PM
Thanks Michael,
that's not a bad idea. :)

Steffen, a HTML5 tag reference for the iPad would be an awesome app (IMHO)

TopKatz
31 May 2010, 4:30 PM
For me it's about getting existing web apps to work on touch devices. I have no shortage of controls that could be reworked using the toolkit.

Steffen Hiller
31 May 2010, 4:34 PM
Maybe I should give my clients an iPad for free, so that they want their apps to be working on the iPad, too. ;)

For me it's about getting existing web apps to work on touch devices. I have no shortage of controls that could be reworked using the toolkit.

TopKatz
1 Jun 2010, 3:36 AM
Or, build the app, and send them a video of you using it.

aw1zard2
1 Jun 2010, 6:19 AM
Just to give a few ideas out:

I'm currently working on a new warehousing device for a company using barcodes and everything to an ipad/touch tablet.
I've also started working with Android 2.2 for doing instant photos to a tablet then auto upload to the social websites with 3G/4G/WiFi a lot of potential here. Basically can take a pic, upload immediately, and don't have to worry about filling up file system space on the device's internal storage.

There is a lot of things that can be reworked with use with tablets that will speed up processes currently in place in the work place.

I already have 3-4 current projects that was using Ext JS 3.2.1 on touch devices. Now I can use the actual touch API making things a lot better for me.

:)

fuzelogic
5 Jun 2010, 10:42 AM
How long did it take to get all of the controls sized properly to fit on the screen? That must have been fun

mmullany
5 Jun 2010, 3:25 PM
What do you see as the most high potential areas for rework? We have a pretty neat demo app for meeting management that we're working on. I think that the iPad is the first computer people can bring to meetings with them and not interrupt the face to face dynamic.

aw1zard2
5 Jun 2010, 8:11 PM
My friends and I have been waiting for ICD's tablet to come out that thing is fully loaded and then this week engadget announced a prototype of a tablet/projector hybrid.

ICD link:
icds tegra 2 powered gemini (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/06/icds-tegra-2-powered-gemini-is-the-most-feature-complete-tablet/)

Tablet/projector hybird:
digilife i one e-reader integrated projector (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/digilife-i-one-e-reader-smuggles-along-integrated-projector-get/)

With all of my previous work on web app's through out the years I see a lot of places where things can be upgraded to an ipad/tablet and streamline workflow in multiple ways cutting costs, etc.

Another example would be for Trucking firms. With Geolocation now and 3g/4g cell towers and tablets able to do that could use a tablet to handle google maps for the trucker and update in real time the company about where exactly a truck is. The trucker could login and logout into a secure system and receive updates about bad weather/accidents/traffic jams before he gets to those places and give him an alt route to save time.

One company I worked with before used the mobile satellites in their trucks to keep track of them, this would be a major step forward.

Having Android 2.2 allowing the browser to control a camera insurance claim agents could take pics of damage and update the database in real time and cut out the need for taking the pic, sit at a pc wait for it to download from a camera, and then upload into a server. Same for regular users using tablet storage as a temp measure before uploading to their favorite web gallery.

I could go on but don't want to make a long boring post. Ooops too late... =)