PDA

View Full Version : Access to Camera?

thesilentman
17 Jun 2010, 2:47 PM
Hi,
I am fairly new to phone - apps. Got a question:

From the introduction I read
"
While it’s true today that you need to wrap your Sencha Touch application in a native shell (such as PhoneGap) in order to get access to camera or accelerometer. But with the current industry trends, we don’t think this will be the case for too long.
"

Does this mean that standards will provide those interfaces or will Sencha Touch provide these?

Thanks

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 3:03 PM
Apple has stated that the next version of iOS will expose the camera to a browser interface, so we'd love to support that once it's available. We feel that exposing more of the internals to the browser is an ongoing trend that will continue and we'd be able write a standard interface across all the platforms to support them.

thesilentman
17 Jun 2010, 3:11 PM
OK thanks for the info. So for now one has to go with phonegap in order to have access to the other phone stuff.

Jamie Avins
17 Jun 2010, 4:01 PM
Correct, they provide that bridge at the moment.

aw1zard2
18 Jun 2010, 6:38 AM
Since Android 2.2 does the camera support to the browser and looks to be ready before Apple. Will there be any support for this or are you going to wait for Apple to have it as well?

Just wondering cause I have a "interest" in this for my current project.

:)

Jamie Avins
18 Jun 2010, 10:01 AM
We'll get it in as soon as we can. It's just a matter of priority at the moment.

cchage
24 Jan 2011, 3:05 PM
I am sorry but it seems that Android still has not given us access to camera from the browser. Could you give the link that you have read that Android 2.2 does the camera support to the browser? I would appreciate that.

aw1zard2
24 Jan 2011, 6:30 PM
It was in Google's IO 2010.
http://www.mobilexweb.com/blog/android-froyo-html5-accelerometer-flash-player

We had to put Sencha Touch and mobile development on the back burner but one of my links allows in a webview for javascript to interface with Android API's.

http://developer.android.com/guide/webapps/webview.html#BindingJavaScript