PDA

View Full Version : Application or WebApp ?

kiprud
18 Jun 2010, 4:38 AM
Hello,

About Sencha Touch, on the screenschots we don't see any browser navigation /tool bar on the north of the screen so can you tell me why ? It's IphoneOs or AndroidOs hide it or it's Sencha Touch feature ?

Thanks.

Best regards.

Jamie Avins
18 Jun 2010, 9:48 AM
Saving the application to your home screen will allow it to come up without a navigation bar. The solitaire app will also work offline in this mode and uses local storage to save games.

kiprud
19 Jun 2010, 1:12 PM
I don't understand. CAn you explain me how can i save ma application on my home screen ??

jeroenvduffelen
20 Jun 2010, 12:47 AM
Saving a web app to your home screen is very simple.

On your iPad press on the "+" next to the address bar in your browser and it gives you the option to save to the home screen. In the iPhone/iPod you click on the "+" on the bottom and it will give you the same...

kiprud
20 Jun 2010, 11:05 AM
Ok thanks guys !

eskotee
20 Jun 2010, 11:06 AM
Saving a web app to your home screen is very simple.

On your iPad press on the "+" next to the address bar in your browser and it gives you the option to save to the home screen. In the iPhone/iPod you click on the "+" on the bottom and it will give you the same...

I can do this on iPhone, yes, but still if I stop the server, app does not work. Should this (e.g. Solitaire) work offline in the iPhone ?
Or is this possible only in the iPad ?

jeroenvduffelen
20 Jun 2010, 11:29 AM
Mobile Safari (or any other WebKit based web browser) comes, as far as I know, with offline support. So yes IF an application itself is build WITH offline support - it should work on both the iPad en iPhone. But I dont know if Solitaire's got offline support build in.

jamie might know..

mrsunshine
20 Jun 2010, 11:38 AM
Solitaire have offline support

eskotee
21 Jun 2010, 9:30 AM
Mobile Safari (or any other WebKit based web browser) comes, as far as I know, with offline support. So yes IF an application itself is build WITH offline support - it should work on both the iPad en iPhone. But I dont know if Solitaire's got offline support build in.

jamie might know..

Thank's for information. This encouraged me to explore the issue further. By help of Google I found one presentation and discussion regarding the topic (http://www.slideshare.net/Berttimmermans/iphone-offline-webapps). Thanks for Bert too :-)
One issue seems to be the manifest file and also how server treats the manifest file. I was trying this in the MAMP environment on my Mac. It still does not work but I hope there is a solution because now I know at least, that it should be possible.

mrsunshine
21 Jun 2010, 10:17 AM
I wrote a little how to make your app work offline look her
how to (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?102054-How-make-a-sencha-touch-app-offline-usable-with-html5-cache-manifest&p=478955#post478955)

jeroenvduffelen
21 Jun 2010, 2:16 PM
You have to make sure your MAMP environment serves the cache Manifest file as... a cache manifest file. Otherwise the browser doesn't pick it up as a manifest file and your web app doesnt get cached properly.

See for more info: http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/iphone/conceptual/safarijsdatabaseguide/OfflineApplicationCache/OfflineApplicationCache.html

pcr
9 Sep 2010, 11:14 PM
To run on an iPad app I put the following in my index.html.

<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">
<meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale = 1.0, user-scalable = no">

After make a shortcut to the iPad-homepage and start from there safari starts without almost in fullscreen.
Probably this also works in iPhone and Android.

pcr
9 Sep 2010, 11:19 PM
To make your own icon on the homepage you can add a .png picture to youre homepage. This myapp.png must be a 45 px - 45 px format. Next put this on your homepage:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="myapp.png" />

Then make a new shortcut on your iPad.