PDA

View Full Version : Use of Ext Designer Off-line

nesd
18 Jun 2010, 7:52 AM
I just downloaded the Ext Designer for evaluation. We work on a classified environment and our development machines are not hooked up on the internet. It always ask me for login id and password every time I connect, hence I cannot use it because we are not hooked on the internet. Is there any way we can evaluate it without having to be connected to the internet?

jarrednicholls
18 Jun 2010, 8:46 AM
The first run of the Designer requires a connection to retrieve a license and do an update to begin running the application. After that first run, it can be used offline (but you obviously won't get notices on auto-updates, and we encourage that because we make frequent and important updates).

We are considering several solutions to allowing offline use, but they all require some sort of internet access at some point in time...e.g., email license request/response (much like requesting an SSL certificate for a domain), download update file, etc. This would be helpful in your situation since you have access to the internet on a different machine from the development machine...as long as you had the ability to copy over a file from your internet machine to the development machine of course.

m4eclipse
8 Oct 2010, 1:31 AM
HI, can you give more details?
First I install the ext designer to my machine which have no access to the internet,then I tried to run it. However it required to connect to internet. So even I have another machine which has access to the internet,how to make it work?

jarrednicholls
8 Oct 2010, 5:33 AM
Sure. There are two steps that much occur manually when offline: activation, and upgrading the software. What we do is we generate a user.license file for you, and email it with instructions on where to install it. That takes care of activating the software. Then, we also have instructions for manually upgrading the software to the latest version. This makes the software operational and capable of running 100% offline. Of course when there are new updates to the software you wish to install, the manual upgrade process must be performed each time. All in all, it's a very straightforward process.

m4eclipse
8 Oct 2010, 6:17 AM
Thanks for reply. I got it. So this can not work in a evaluation version.

jarrednicholls
8 Oct 2010, 7:28 AM
Actually it can. If you'd like to evaluate offline, toss me an email at designer.feedback [at] sencha.com, and I can follow up with you to get you a working trial license.