PDA

View Full Version : Sencha and Firefox

micahspieler
21 Jun 2010, 10:27 AM
Hey all -

I'm very interested in using sencha to develop a web application so that users can view a personalized schedule for an 6-day event. The frame work looks robust and perfect for what we want to do.

However, in deciding to make a web app over a native app, we were hoping that the same web site that is optimized for mobile will also be usable from a desktop for attendees who do not have a smart phone or want to check their schedule in the morning or evenings, after/before the event.

I was looking at some of the Sencha examples on my desktop, and happily found that they worked with webkit browsers (chroma/safari), but also found that I couldn't even launch the examples under Firefox. Looking at a previous project where I used JQTouch, the -webkit specific css styles didn't render in FF but the structure of the page was at least still viewable.

Does any one have any experience or information in terms of the browser compatibility of Sencha with non-webkit browsers?

Thanks in advance.

aw1zard2
21 Jun 2010, 11:18 AM
The current projects I'm working on uses both Touch devices and desktops. We found it easier to keep the mobile and desktop web-apps separate then as one. As which desktop browsers which can range from IE6 to 8, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome and others Ext JS give a lot more flexibility then the Touch library. The Sencha Touch has removed a lot of old compatibility by just going towards HTML 5 and CSS 3 webkit based browsers for mobile. Having these cut's down a lot of coding in js compared to Ext JS. Our user base touches a WIDE range of users using all sorts of browsers. But we learned most of our mobile users that will be using the system is mostly Android, IPhone, and Rim users since we are on the more business side of development. Touch Tablets and All-in-One's is a mix of what they are using so by providing one URL for both systems then our back-end loading the necessary engines to handle either a mobile/tablet webkit browser otherwise it defaults to our Ext JS/php engine. Both systems use the same database back-end php code so in some areas you can combine things just not everything.

And going towards the multiple mobile devices we created a config database of device name and screen size as well as how to load our web apps independent of static screen size. We made a more flexible system depending on which user and what device they log into the system with.

Here is the link to the isMobile function we have been using to determine which device/browser has connected with our website.

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?99513-How-To-Design-Develop-and-test-for-a-mobile-device-hints-tips-and-tricks.&p=468703#post468703

micahspieler
21 Jun 2010, 11:28 AM
@ aw1zard2 thanks for that insight. I was beginning to think that it might not be the greatest UX if we hopped to shotgun both mobile and desktop users with the same interface. I'll have to take a look at the larger Ext JS for the desktop environment.

aw1zard2
21 Jun 2010, 11:31 AM
@ aw1zard2 thanks for that insight. I was beginning to think that it might not be the greatest UX if we hopped to shotgun both mobile and desktop users with the same interface. I'll have to take a look at the larger Ext JS for the desktop environment.

Once Ext JS 4.0 comes out which will be close to end of this year I believe some things we see currently in Sencha Touch will be close to the same in 4.0 like the Data Api's the new way of doing store's, etc. Of course the Dev Team can give more insight then I can on the topic.

:D

TommyMaintz
21 Jun 2010, 1:23 PM
@aw1zard2 Correct! A lot of the new exciting features in Sencha Touch will hopefully make it into Ext JS 4.0. The data package, component layouts, tabpanel restructures, docking etc.

keithoth
5 May 2011, 9:40 PM
I think it is very important that Sencha get the touch API working on Firefox. Firefox is the best mobile browser for the Android OS and I am sure it will become true for the Windows 7 phones as well. Also putting Sencha Touch onto Firefox would really help accelerate the acceptance of HTML 5.