PDA

View Full Version : Another license question

gene_kultpower
22 Jun 2010, 1:30 AM
Hi there.

I am thinking of building a new mobile version of my website. So far I used iWebKit, now am am thinking about using the new Sencha Touch framework. I do not want to modify the Sensa touch framework.

And, yes, I have read http://www.sencha.com/products/touch/license.php .

So here are my questions:

am I allowed to use Sensa Touch for my website without any restrictions?
am I allowed to use Sensa Touch if I make an iPhone/iPad application with phoneGap or something similar?

How will these questions be answered if the beta is "over" and there is a version 1.0 available?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for delivering your software "free", I also like jqTouch B)

amishcon
22 Jun 2010, 2:13 PM
Gene,

Please contact licensing@sencha.com directly with your licensing questions. Because Sencha Touch is presently a beta release and presently licensed under GPL only, we prefer not to post answers that will not be relevant shortly.

~ Adam

spaxfish
23 Jun 2010, 8:09 AM
So as far as I understand we are not allowed to use the current beta for creating and releasing an application and selling it on the appstore for example, is this assumption correct?

Because if I understand correctly, GPL only allows you to release open source product, ie free stuff. If I make an app for the appstore and sell it, then uh well javascript is always "open" but the app would not necessarily be classified as open source I suppose.

I think its very important we get some clarifications on this, for me this whole wishy washy licensing jargon is hard to understand sometimes, it would be better to have a straight up answer with a few simple words.

I did email licensing at sencha but no reply as of yet.

Anyway thanks, great product btw!
Oh and if we can't use the beta for commercial apps then we can we expect a commercial license/release?

amishcon
23 Jun 2010, 11:21 AM
At this time, only a GPL license is available for Sencha Touch (or you can use our FLOSS exceptions in combination with many other open source licenses). We've responded to your email and respectfully request that questions on specific uses be addressed to licensing@sencha.com.

~ Adam