PDA

View Full Version : Features of Sencha Touch

metalsiren
22 Jun 2010, 12:30 PM
from: http://www.sencha.com/blog/2010/06/17/introducing-sencha-touch-html5-framework-for-mobile/

it’s true today that you need to wrap your Sencha Touch application in a native shell (such as PhoneGap) in order to get access to camera or accelerometer.

We're wondering if Sencha Touch apps have to communicate with a web server in order to function properly. From the above description, it doesn't seem that a server is necessary, but we just wanted to make sure.

Also, is it possible to communicate to third-party hardware via the usb ports on phones (such as the HTC Evo?). Is that pretty easy? Are there any tips/tricks that you'd have for doing that?

Can we distribute our apps via the Apple app store and Android app store? Can we provide a place on our servers for users to download our apps easily?

Thanks!

NoahK17
22 Jun 2010, 1:42 PM
Erm, from what I can tell this is an HTML5/CSS framework, so 1. you'd need a server and 2. it's not a native iPhone app, so you can't submit it to the App Store.

Jamie Avins
22 Jun 2010, 1:54 PM
Actually you can wrap it with PhoneGap to make it completely native and get the hooks you need to javascript for the hardware.

d2ncal
21 Jul 2010, 8:02 AM
I am contemplating building a webapp based on Sencha touch, and then wrapping it with PhoneGap (or something similar) in a native app. shell.

If someone on this forum has done this, I would love to hear about their experience, specially on what are the chances of it getting rejected on the basis of not being a 'real' native app.