PDA

View Full Version : Change xtype

froamer
2 Jul 2010, 2:21 AM
Hi, is it possible to change the xtype of a component within my subclass without losing the designed config?

I know I can remove the designed component and add my own, but then I would have to reimplement a whole chunk of my designed code manually just to turn a Button into a Splitbutton (in this example).

Is there a place I can tweak the xtype or perhaps reuse the button's config when replacing it?

Also any ETA on the next release so we don't have to jump through these hoops to use standard Ext components?

Many thanks for your help and producing this great tool!

jarrednicholls
2 Jul 2010, 4:46 AM
You won't need to bother with this, all standard Ext components will be in the next release (except for RadioGroup/CheckboxGroup because they're broken in Ext JS and can be simulated visually with an hbox container, so the Designer won't include them). The next release also has a very valuable feature "Promote to Class / Linked Components" that will let you create custom xtype'ed components. The next release will be out soon, you will get a notice to download a new installer from the website when it is released.

froamer
2 Jul 2010, 5:15 AM
Thanks Jarred, I'm really looking forward to the next release!

froamer
6 Jul 2010, 12:55 AM
Hi Jarred,

I know you probably can’t commit to a release date, but so I can plan a little can you elaborate on "soon" - days, weeks, months? Promise I wont hold you to it, I just need to decide on my next step.

Very much appreciated if you can give me a clue.

jarrednicholls
6 Jul 2010, 5:21 AM
Today...you can hold me to it :-)

froamer
6 Jul 2010, 6:54 AM
Brilliant, can't wait!

siebe vos
26 Jul 2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Jarred,

Maybe I misunderstood your reply on froamer's post about "Today". I installed the new version today 27'th of July but havn't seen this feature yet.

Thanks in advance!

Siebe

oaugustus
27 Jul 2010, 3:56 AM
Hi siebe vos,

Give a look in this post: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?103560-How-to-replace-placeholder-components.

jarrednicholls
27 Jul 2010, 4:18 AM
Hi Siebe,

Promote to Class/Linked Instances are most certainly in the latest release, but only are useful within your project. If you want to include an external component, see the post that oaugustus linked you to which has a nice helper to replace placeholder components with the ones you actually want.

Thanks.

siebe vos
28 Jul 2010, 1:32 AM
Hi Jarred and Otavio,

Thanks for the posted replies. I have seen the promote class functionality now. I am sorry I thought that this subject was about creating new components that could be selected on the right side of the screen for re-use. A year ago I saw a internet video about ext designer preview where a login component was created and stored as a component as a user defined ux component that could be selected later on again for a new project. Or is this still a feature to come?

Thanks again!

jarrednicholls
28 Jul 2010, 9:51 AM
Hi Siebe,

That's a feature for a near future release...we call it "Save to Toolbox" and "Save to File". Save to Toolbox will save a component to the Toolbox for re-use across projects (same user), and Save to File will export a component to file, and in turn can then be imported to another Designer instance for re-use across users.