PDA

View Full Version : Ext Core - an empty gesture?

tercero12
5 Jul 2010, 10:19 AM
I've grown to love ExtJS's thoughtful API layout among many other things. When ExtCore was released, I was excited to see some competition in the light JS library area in my favorite syntax and feel. While never having had the opportunity to use Core alone (full ExtJS was still in all my current projects), I was a supporter.

Now I'm starting a largeish Javascript project. I'm evaluating which library I should use. ExtCore is strong contender simply because my project will likely integrate with larger ExtJS projects. But licensing is an issue as I'd like for my project to remain MIT (or equiv.).

As I look at ExtCore it seems to me that it hasn't been updated since being released. The Public SVN Commit log is AWOL and points to Core 3.0. ExtJS is on 3.2 and yet Core is still at 3.0.

Am I missing something? Was ExtCore just an empty gesture to attract attention and is now languishing?

No malice...just trying to make a good decision.

Animal
5 Jul 2010, 12:35 PM
What changes does it need?

tercero12
5 Jul 2010, 1:02 PM

The issue I'm raising is not about what ExtCore needs feature-wise, it's about visibility and openness. I think a broken link to the "Public SVN Commit Log" is a very bad thing for a project that is supposed to be active and supported. Particularly because Sencha wants people to use ExtCore. Would you choose a javascript library with "broken" links on its website? Perhaps, but it certainly give the impression of a red-headed step-child project.

Animal
5 Jul 2010, 11:15 PM
Yes a broken link is not good.

But there's nothing wrong with Ext Core. ExtJS is built on top of it.

mankz
6 Jul 2010, 10:04 AM
@Animal, what's the relation between ext-base.js and ext-core.js? Is one of them a subset of the other? For example Ext.onReady isn't defined in ext-base.js (but surprisingly it's used anyway).

tercero12
6 Jul 2010, 5:30 PM

On second thought, ExtCore has no capability for custom events. It needs Ext.util.Observable for my project. Bummer. YUI3 here I come.

Animal
6 Jul 2010, 11:49 PM
ExtCore has Observable!

http://www.sencha.com/products/core/docs/?class=Ext.util.Observable

tercero12
7 Jul 2010, 1:37 AM
I don't know how I looked over that. I looked for it 3 times. My wife knows that I'm not so great at finding things. =) Thanks!

tercero12
9 Jul 2010, 5:34 AM
Public Commit Log is working again. Thanks guys for all your hard work! Ext* is by far the most balanced JS library for my taste!

(If ExtCore 3.1 is the most current, it would be good to pull off the link to 3.0 on the Commit Log page and just point to the Download page.)

Condor
9 Jul 2010, 5:59 AM
The SVN repository is public, so you can build any Ext Core version you like.

Ext Core 3.2 is the current version, but you could build an Ext Core with the latest 3.2 patches, or an Ext Core from the 3.3 beta branch or even from the 4.0 pre-alpha branch.