PDA

View Full Version : 1.0.2.0 - What's in, what's not?

froamer
7 Jul 2010, 1:21 AM
Hi, I eagerly downloaded version 1.0.2.0 of Ext Designer. Great work on the improved support for standard Ext Compoments!

However, with only the sparse change log notes to go on I am a little confused about what I can do and what has been postponed for a future release. Perhaps you could give me some help with the following:

Reuse in Other Projects
I can see you have implemented "Promote to class" which allows you to define an internal component as a class, which your project can instantiate as links - this gives us reuse within a single project - great! But can I reuse these is other projects yet?

I can see the userXType property now causes the registration of the xtype in the subclass js so it can be used within configs in hand crafted code but I can't see how this lets me reuse them in other projects.

If I select Component > New Component... from the menu, I can see some components represented by empty boxes with classes like "MyUserComponent" but I don't know how they got there.

A little guidance on how to implement cross-project reuse would be great.

Custom Extensions
Can I do this yet? Elsewhere in the forums you say we will need to write a file that declares the custom extensions to Ext Designer. Are there instructions on how to do this?

A quick guide or example project on how to implement a custom component would be great too.

Keep up the good work guys, this is getting better and better!

jarrednicholls
7 Jul 2010, 6:40 AM
Reuse in Other Projects
I can see you have implemented "Promote to class" which allows you to define an internal component as a class, which your project can instantiate as links - this gives us reuse within a single project - great! But can I reuse these is other projects yet?

No not yet. That is a separate feature coming soon. It will let you save a component to your Toolbox, and thus instantiate it in another project. It will also be accompanied by the ability to save/export a component to a file, and then share it with another developer/user.

I can see the userXType property now causes the registration of the xtype in the subclass js so it can be used within configs in hand crafted code but I can't see how this lets me reuse them in other projects.

Right, not in other projects...but the exported Javascript class itself is ready to roll for re-use in another application, if it was built with reusability in mind. Registering a custom xtype for a component is "standard procedure" when developing custom Ext JS components. We leverage it (or enforce it?) with Promote to Class & Linked Instances.

If I select Component > New Component... from the menu, I can see some components represented by empty boxes with classes like "MyUserComponent" but I don't know how they got there.

LOL, I'll make sure that gets fixed :-) Thanks! With that said, I recommend either drag-n-drop from the Toolbox, or simply double-clicking from the Toolbox. It's a littler faster I suppose...

A little guidance on how to implement cross-project reuse would be great.

Custom Extensions
Can I do this yet? Elsewhere in the forums you say we will need to write a file that declares the custom extensions to Ext Designer. Are there instructions on how to do this?

A quick guide or example project on how to implement a custom component would be great too.

Keep up the good work guys, this is getting better and better!

Custom extensions are not yet available, but will be in a near future release. It is one of our top priorities. Custom extensions require development efforts...you basically program a plugin or "contract" using some Designer APIs so the Designer understands how your component should operate. Our major refactor with this most recent release was essentially migrating all of the standard Ext JS components into this new API/plugin model. We will provide documentation of the API when the feature is released.

froamer
7 Jul 2010, 6:47 AM
Thanks Jarred,

It’s a great release, and plenty more to look forward to. I love the fact that you are actively and rapidly incorporating user suggestions and comments into the roadmap - outstanding!

froamer
1 Sep 2010, 7:53 AM
Hi Jarred,

I have just downloaded the latest release (1.0.2.13) and it has been a few months since you hinted at "Custom extensions in a near future release". I was wondering where this now sits on the roadmap since this is the single most important enhancement that will dramatically reduce work load in Ext Designer.

Any indications at this stage?

jarrednicholls
1 Sep 2010, 8:14 AM
Hi froamer, please see private IM. Thanks.