PDA

View Full Version : Ext Designer 1.0.2 bugs

eddiejsd
7 Jul 2010, 10:53 AM
Any project I open up in 1.0.2 that was created in 1.0.1 is missing most of the field labels for the form inputs. Is there anyway to fix this without spending the time to re-input all the field labels?

jarrednicholls
7 Jul 2010, 10:57 AM
eddie, I am working on this bug right now actually, and will be releasing a patch sometime this evening. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would not spend the time correcting it and would just wait for the patch release, but I'll leave that up to you.

eddiejsd
7 Jul 2010, 11:07 AM
Great thanks. One other thing I noticed is that hidden input fields now take up a few pixels of space instead of being completely hidden.

jarrednicholls
7 Jul 2010, 11:22 AM
That's interesting, I am not seeing that behavior. An <input type="hidden" /> is rendered. That shouldn't take up any space.

ciw1973
7 Jul 2010, 2:37 PM
One minor thing - the default number of columns for a button group in v1.0.1 was 2, but blank in v1.0.2, so when I open an existing project all of the button groups which hadn't had the number of columns explicitly declared and which contain more than two buttons are now the wrong size.

As I say, just a minor thing which only takes a few seconds to fix.

jarrednicholls
7 Jul 2010, 2:45 PM
ok thanks ciw1973!

Schlurcher
8 Jul 2010, 2:26 AM
Also viewConfig get's applied to any grid in your project, not just the one you set it on.

And linked instances are kind of useless for reusability purposes if you can't configure them at design time.
Come on... i want to create a reusable form field and i can't even configure the instances name property at design time? Oh, well...

Schlurcher
8 Jul 2010, 3:09 AM
Is there a way to go back to the old version?
The viewConfig problem just expanded to defaults, messing up just about anything in my project.

Schlurcher
8 Jul 2010, 3:54 AM
The saga continues, TextFields getting duplicated like hell, especially in EditorGrids and CompositeFields, fieldLabels vanishing, defaults and viewConfig getting applied randomly to different components and God knows what else.

If your goal with this version was to completly annoy the crap out of your users, congratulations, mission accomplished. v1.0.1 was pretty stable and bug-free, wish i hadn't updated.

isar
8 Jul 2010, 4:57 AM
I created a not so large project using 1.0.1. Now I've installed 1.0.2 and

a) the preview does not show anything (reproducible 100% of the time)
b) TextFields (within a FieldSet, which again is in a FormPanel) are not selectable visually, they can only be selected within the hierarchical "Components" panel (reproducible about 50% of the time)

Update 1:
I opened my 1.0.1-project using 1.0.2, saved that project using "Save Project as...", closed the Designer (v1.0.2), opened the newly saved project and tried the Preview again. Result: All TextField labels are now named "Label:" and are only visible after changing at least one arbitrary thing in the Component hierarchy. Before making any changes, the labels are not visible at all. (Which, for me, means I have to try to downgrade to 1.0.1 immediately as I had hoped to hold a presentation tomorrow based on the Designer...)

Update 2:
Designer 1.0.2 has scrapped my 1.0.1 file though i NEVER told it to save it. Have to create my project from scratch now. I'm very annoyed.

Update 3:
Trying to downgrade to 1.0.1 failed. I tried to
1) uninstall 1.0.2 (which did not work too well because i had to manually delete the C:\Program Files\ExtDesigner directory and many registry entries)
2) install 1.0.1 again
but without success because after installation of "ExtDesigner-1.0.1-windows-installer.exe" the version info (Help-->About) says I'm still using 1.0.2.

Please tell us about a way to downgrade to 1.0.1 again.

Madk
8 Jul 2010, 5:13 AM
If your goal with this version was to completly annoy the crap out of your users, congratulations, mission accomplished. v1.0.1 was pretty stable and bug-free, wish i hadn't updated.

+1... :s

I didn't have in mind when i bought my Ext designer License that i will be beta tester!

isar
8 Jul 2010, 5:49 AM
Is there a way to go back to the old version?

+1, see my post #10 (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?103570-Ext-Designer-1.0.2-bugs&p=486035#post486035) in this thread

sajan
8 Jul 2010, 6:00 AM
Yes there are glitches

but the team has said they are working on it. So, being a developer my self I think we should have little respect for them.

Because of their effort my project build time has reduced dramatically. And I am learning EXTJS faster than before

So thank you Ext team. !!!
Please give the solution soon
Designer rocks!!!

isar
8 Jul 2010, 6:04 AM
So, being a developer my self I think we should have little respect for them.
Absolutely. In this case, I try to express my respect by giving as much info on what problems do exist and how i tried to overcome them, so the Ext Designer team can work on this efficiently. Keep up the good work, Ext Designer developers.

lombardo
8 Jul 2010, 6:57 AM
hi. I have a project created in 1.0.1 with have many components.
I update to version 1.0.2 and now i only see one component in the component tree

ciw1973
8 Jul 2010, 7:39 AM
The problem is, that these aren't just minor glitches or inconveniences, they're actually destroying people's previous work and to add insult to injury the installed product is effectively unusable until these bugs are fixed.

I was lucky, as I planned to do some work on one of our projects at home last night, so updated my home machine first. It was therefore just a copy of my project and a non crucial machine which are affected, my work PC is still on v1.0.1. Previously I've updated immediately, but our firewall won't allow UPX compressed EXEs through which annoys me, but it saved the day in this case.

Personally, I think the designer is fantastic for prototyping and have no problem with a few glitches here and there, but as several people have pointed out recently on the forums, this is a commercial product and it's just not acceptable. You'd have trouble forgiving the developers of a free app for a release like this, but when you've paid over $200 for something you expect much better change control and testing of releases.

Going forward I don't imagine may of us are going to be overly trusting of the automatic updates.

jarrednicholls
8 Jul 2010, 12:15 PM
Hi everyone,

Listen, I apologize for the inconvenience these bugs have caused in the past 24 hours. I have pushed an update, 1.0.2.1, which solves, I hope, all or the majority of the issues people have been experiencing.

Going forward, updates are not going to be so drastically different. This past development cycle has been the largest we have ever undertaken since the initial release. Literally, over 50% of the Designer was replaced...!!! This massive effort was to promote future features, such as importable custom user extensions and the ability to switch the framework that your project targets (Ext 3.2.x, Ext 3.3.x, Ext 4.x, Sencha Touch, etc. etc.). The entire component model was re-written from scratch in a plugin/API format that will be documented and published to everyone, so that you may integrate your own custom components to the Designer. The plugin format is much like a "contract" that describes to the Designer how your component operates, what configuration options are available for it, what component it inherits from, and hooks into events of the Designer life cycle.

Our goal with this massive refactor was to remain backwards compatible with 1.0 and 1.0.1 project files. There were some issues that were only present when opening an old project file, but not present when opening a 1.0.2 project file or starting a project from scratch. There were other issues that simply weren't picked up.

I didn't rest until the reported bugs were taken care of that were rendering projects unusable. Could I have tested more? Yes, obviously...but I didn't have user contributed projects to test with, so I didn't catch everything that could have crept up. With the majority of the "new" bugs out of the way, I hope you all see the benefits of the latest features and enjoy them. I am always here to help. If I were in your shoes, I'd also be upset. I sincerely apologize for the 24 hours you've lost, I realize that time is precious...

So again, going forward, such a major refactor will not occur until a new major version. You do not have to be afraid of automatic updates! But as anyone would recommend, from one developer to another, be sure to make backups of your project files (e.g., source control).

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Jarred

ciw1973
8 Jul 2010, 2:53 PM
Having read my last post back, it's quite a bit harsher than I'd have written now, even if the new release hadn't remedied the problems which had provoked it, but to be honest it did sum up my feelings at the time. All the same, I'd like to apologise.

Jarred, the turnaround in fixing the multitude of bugs reported since the v1.0.2 release has been impressive, and I only hope you now get an opportunity to catch up on all the sleep you'll no doubt have missed over the past 36 hours.

With the show-stopping bugs fixed, I can see that this release includes greatly expanded properties for most if not all of the components, which is going to significantly reduce the amount of manual coding required to put together working prototypes.

I'm looking forward to spending a couple of hours just checking out all of the newly exposed config properties.

isar
9 Jul 2010, 1:24 AM
I sincerely apologize for the 24 hours you've lost, I realize that time is precious...

Hi Jarred,

your apology sounds absolutely honest and credible to me, and your quick overnight fix has resolved the most severe problems for me. Thanks. Maybe things would have been seen differently by the customers if you'd called that (now obsolete) version 1.0.2 not 1.0.2 but 1.1beta ;-) which would have explicitly expressed that
a) a major refactoring has been done and
b) it might still be buggy (which, after every big refactoring, is normal)

Best Regards
isar

jarrednicholls
9 Jul 2010, 4:52 AM
isar, I concur. Obviously I had expected it to run a little smoother, but nevertheless...

One of the features we'd like to add are release notes that can be read right within the Designer BEFORE an update is downloaded. Then, that type of communication will happen for sure.

Thanks.