PDA

View Full Version : How to improve Startup time?

profunctional
8 Jul 2010, 12:37 PM
The system I am testing on is an iPhone 3GS on the 3G network. On average, it is taking 10-12 seconds to load my app. I am also testing the Kitchen Sink sample hosted by Sencha, and this also takes several seconds to load.

Is there any way to improve the startup time?

This is extremely important to us, as native apps launch almost instantly. Of all the apps that I stopped using, the main reason was slow startup time. Users just don't have time to wait when they need to launch an app.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

evant
8 Jul 2010, 7:28 PM
Obviously you're limited by the speed of the connection, however there's a number of things you can do.

Try running YSlow over your app (it's a firebug addon).

There's also some good info in this thread: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?97697-Strong-Optimization-using-Yslow-%28Yahoo%29&highlight=gzip

Eric24
12 Jul 2010, 6:38 PM
Crazy idea (that I have no idea if it's even possible): Can some/all of the app andor/its resources be stored locally (i.e., file:/// reference) on the device? (And maybe this is device-dependent). If so, perhaps some sort of installer could create download a collection of files once. Of course, if this is possible, it's a trade-off between faster load times and "real-time" updating. I suppose some of this gets done by browser caching of the files once they are loaded the first time (right?); but doing it explicitly may provide more control.

Also, how might this approach work for creating an "off-line" app (that didn't need to be connected to the Internet)?

Aldri
12 Jul 2010, 11:47 PM
if you want to do an offline app (with file:/// reference), just use phonegap with sencha touch, it works well (that's what i'm using) and you can do apps for android/iphone (and more, but sencha doesn't support them)