PDA

View Full Version : Future direction of Sencha/Ext JS

jonhobbs
9 Jul 2010, 5:21 AM
Hi Guys,

We have a potential client that wants us to develop a web app primarily for use on an iPad. We've used Ext JS in the past and we're seriously considering using Sencha in the future but before we put our weight behind a technology it's important for us to know what the future plans are etc.

To that end I was wondering if it would be possible to know a little bit more about the company and what resources will be put into Sencha?

Is there a large team working on Sencha or is it just a side project? Will there be new controls/supported browsers/new developments on a regular basis or is it just an experiment? Is Sencha the work of a new team or is it being done by Ext developers (if so, will development on Ext stop/slow down)?

Sorry, lots of questions I know but we really don't want to adopt a technology that stays in Beta for ages and isn't supported in the future.

Jon

jonhobbs
12 Jul 2010, 4:51 AM
Just giving this a quick bump.

I'm not sure whether nobody from Sencha has read this or whether they're just reticent to answer the question?

trandroid
12 Jul 2010, 5:09 AM
I also wonder future direction and jonhobbs' questions

Aldri
12 Jul 2010, 5:15 AM
If they have renamed their website and products "sencha" it's not to let this down...
Mobile web sites are a huge and growing market, and sencha is the best solution at the moment, they are way ahead of concurrents.
I'm sure that they'd like to keep it that way ;)

evant
12 Jul 2010, 5:27 AM
Touch definitely isn't a side project, we intend to continue developing it along with our other projects. Touch and Ext share some common elements that are shared for both code bases, so the development for Ext can benefit Touch and also vice versa.

mmullany
18 Jul 2010, 7:38 PM
@jonhobbs -- + 1 to evan's response. We have a dedicated team on Sencha Touch - it's most definitely not a side project, it's a main project right up there with Designer, Ext JS & Ext GWT.