PDA

View Full Version : App Stores

bardu
18 Jul 2010, 5:27 PM
Hi there,

this might be a bit off topic, but I'm wondering how mobile web apps fit in to Apple's and Google's respective app stores. Is it possible to post free or commercial mobile web apps at those stores?

Thanks.
Stephan

nosarious
18 Jul 2010, 5:48 PM
A properly done web app can be bookmarked to the home screen on the ipad and the iphone/ipod touch devices and used offline.

There is an excellent example in this thread: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?101815-Memory (read through to the last page)

A web app requires a html5 cache, which can be googled for more information.

A web app can be linked and saved for free to the device without having to go through the app store, and without the developer having to pay the apple tax.

A good example that can be accessed on any apple device is to open safari, choose the user guide from the bookmarks, and save it to your home screen. You can then read the user guide when offline, all without going through the app store to add something to your home screen, You can watch a quick video here: http://daringfireball.net/misc/2009/12/user_guide_demos

bardu
19 Jul 2010, 8:14 AM
Thanks for your information.

The only advantage I see coming from the app stores is the exposure to a wide audience reducing your own marketing efforts.

Rohall
19 Jul 2010, 8:17 AM
take a look at www.phonegap.com

Rohall
19 Jul 2010, 8:18 AM
Try taking a look at phonegap.com

It may provide the functionality you're looking for!

nosarious
19 Jul 2010, 8:41 AM
You're absolutely right. My concern is being able to have a catalogue or brochure or portfolio that someone can download from your website or link to from an email. Instead of building an app for it, code up something and let them download/browse/save as bookmark.

Apps are nice, but sometimes they are overkill for the information they are really displaying. And one could always link to the downloadable file from within a more dedicated app...

The main advantage for the app store is simplifying the payment options. Let Apple do all the heavy lifting when it comes to quickie purchasing. But you need to pay a developer fee to enter the game, your app must be approved (even the magazines need to go through that process) and there is a limit for payments you have to reach before Apple will wire the money... (I know someone with a bit of cash they will never get unless more people buy their four month old game)

bardu
19 Jul 2010, 9:07 AM
phonegap.com looks interesting.

Is there anything that prevents the use of Sencha Touch API with phonegap framework?

TommyMaintz
19 Jul 2010, 11:17 AM
Not that we are aware of bardu.