PDA

View Full Version : Designer: nive tool but a little bit painful to start with

ssamayoa
12 Aug 2010, 1:48 PM
It is a little bit painful to get up and running with the Designer if you are new to ExtJS.
Simple things like the development cycle and "autoRef" may be too simple for long time ExtJS users but not too obvious without playing with the Designer and reading the forum.

For example, I discovered that to create a new container you need to drag and drop the component to the design panel. In other tools such Delphi, VB, eclipse, etc. the way is via "new form" or "new page" or whatever object you need. I knonw that are very basic things but for newcommers arent so obvious.

Another not so obvious thing is the way to "link" a container inside another container. At first I tried draggin from component panel to editor panel but result was that such container were selected. The way to link is draggin and dropping in the component panel.

Also, until I exported my project I understand the philosophy behing the Designer when I saw the generated files.

Exists some introduction manual which explains such things?

I feel that there is a lot of other things I still didnt know and may be can make me life easer.

Regards.

jarrednicholls
12 Aug 2010, 9:19 PM
Hi ssamayoa,

Yes there is a getting started guide (http://www.sencha.com/products/designer/ExtDesignerGettingStarted.pdf), and more detailed documentation is underway and nearly ready for release.

To create a component, you can go to the Component -> New Component menu, or you can drag/drop onto the canvas, OR you can double-click the icon in the Toolbox rather than dragging and dropping.

Stay tuned for a forum post with the new documentation when it comes out.

Thanks!

ssamayoa
13 Aug 2010, 7:05 AM
Thanks.

Is the guide accesible somewhere in the sencha's site?

Im asking because I think ExtJS and Designer are very fine products for RIA but information is sparse in the forums and somehow "hidden".

BTW I've already spend some time with Flex (made a working proof of concept prototype including server code, not only mockups) before trying ExtJS and feel that ExtJS is better than Flex not only because is pure JavaScript but also for its architecture and component set. So Designer's documentation is a weakness.

Regards.