PDA

View Full Version : Designer Usage Questions

scottmartin
1 Sep 2010, 1:18 PM
After using XDS for a few days, it has been an experience, but I am getting better at it.

My question ... I would like to start developing apps using ExtJS. Would it be wise to use the designer to create the forms as I need, then use the XDS structure of leaving the app.ui.js intact and edit the app.js only ...
... or would it be a better practice to dump the app.js and rename app.ui.js->app.js, and simply use XDS as a starting point for creating my forms.

I come from the Delphi world, so I have become spoiled when it comes to designing forms.

Is the designer considered the 'newbie' approach, or will it become the standard way to create ExtJS apps?
More project examples would be helpful.

I ask, as I was having problems adding the RowEditor to my app using the XDS (ref) approach. I promoted a few items to class and I started having problems.

Ref was placing '../' in the value, eg: '../refValue'

I finally decided to just add the code to the ui.js and it was working in no time.

I just want to get started with good habits before I get in too deep.

Regards,
Scott.

scottmartin
2 Sep 2010, 11:53 AM
So I guess there are no thoughts on this? Any comments would be appreciated!

Regards,
Scott

jarrednicholls
3 Sep 2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Scott,

It is perfectly acceptable to use the Designer simply as a starting point for your UI...in fact, that's kind-of-sort-of what its purpose is :-) But in the sense that you throw away the .js file and rename/modify the .ui.js file directly. The downside to this is that you will not be able to use the Designer to modify your UI again for that component/class, obviously. If you instead modify the .js file only, you can continue to export new versions of the UI, while your implementation/behavior in the .js file are untouched and unaffected. So frankly, if you know exactly what your UI is going to look like the first time and it's never going to change, then you can safely ditch the .js file and use the .ui.js and go the manual route for any minor revisions from there on.

In reference to your RowEditor integration plus "ref", doing it manually is the correct and only approach at this time until the custom UX integration feature is enabled. If you are unfamiliar with how "ref" works, you should read this: http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/dev/docs/?class=Ext.Component&member=ref You will see what the "../" means in the path specification...it's correct and normal for "../" to appear in a ref, to move the reference up more than one level of ancestor components.

Thanks,
Jarred

ssamayoa
3 Sep 2010, 11:14 AM
Hi fello Delphian.
I'm also a Delphi developer as JEE also.
As Jarred said, you can use the XDS as starting point but you lost the hability to modify your UI with the XDS.
Think the XDS as the Delphi form editor but without the code editor (events and methos) which you must write in the initially generated "implementatio" js.
Regards.