PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous questions regarding Sencha Touch

ljf
13 Sep 2010, 9:58 AM
Hello,

A client asked me to develop a mobile [standalone] version of their Internet site for the iPhone (and Android if possible).

I can do it in Objective-C and/or QuickConnect, but Sencha Touch would probably be a better choice on the longer term, as regard portability particularly. However, to sell Sencha Touch to my client, I feel I need some more information.

1) When will a charting module be available, at least as a beta (my client's site is full of charts)?
2) Can notifications be sent to iPhones, either directly from Sencha Touch or through a call to an Objective-C module?
3) The current standalone Kitchen Sink version has problems with landscape mode: where does it come from?
4) I noticed a lack of reactivity in KitchenSink (i.e. you touch 'User Interface', the line is highlighted, then you touch rapidly on 'Data' -> the 'Data' section is displayed, not the 'User Interface' section). Is this normal?
5) Would it be possible to have a roadmap for Sencha touch?

Best regards and thank you for the work already done,

Laurent

jay@moduscreate.com
14 Sep 2010, 5:08 AM
I could not imagine converting a website to an ObjectiveC app.

2) Can notifications be sent to iPhones, either directly from Sencha Touch or through a call to an Objective-C module?
- Sencha Touch is HTML + CSS.

3) The current standalone Kitchen Sink version has problems with landscape mode: where does it come from?
- this is a very broad statement. what problems do you see?

4) I noticed a lack of reactivity in KitchenSink (i.e. you touch 'User Interface', the line is highlighted, then you touch rapidly on 'Data' -> the 'Data' section is displayed, not the 'User Interface' section). Is this normal?
- Can't reproduce this.

ljf
14 Sep 2010, 5:22 AM
I could not imagine converting a website to an ObjectiveC app.

Why not? Just done it. Obviously 'converting' means 'adapting' not 'trying to mimic'.

- Sencha Touch is HTML + CSS.

In fact the answer is 'yes' (see here: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?105941-Calling-Objective-C-Methods-From-JavaScript&highlight=objective-c).

- this is a very broad statement. what problems do you see?

Online version works just fine. Standalone does not update screen width in landscape mode (at least on my iPhone).

- Can't reproduce this.

You have to be very quick. The 'bug' (if any - rather small lack of reactivity) works on both the online and standalone versions.

jay@moduscreate.com
14 Sep 2010, 5:29 AM
- It's obvious to you, but not me. ;) I guess i'm too literal. That said, did you read the website?

The web scripting capabilities of WebKit permit you to access Objective-C properties and call Objective-C methods from the JavaScript scripting environment.

An important but not necessarily obvious fact about this bridge is that it does not allow any JavaScript script to access Objective-C. You cannot access Objective-C properties and methods from a web browser unless a custom plug-in has been installed. The bridge is intended for people using custom plug-ins and JavaScript environments enclosed within WebKit objects (for example, a WebView).

I imagine Mobile Safari does not allow this.

- The question you asked as is about (push) notifications from iphones to Sencha Touch. My answer still stands firm. There is no "magic" . Your link points to a thread that links to an Apple Safari website. Sencha Touch is a client of the browser, therefore you're looking in the wrong place.

- Does "Standalone" mean "local" - as in your local web environment?

jay@moduscreate.com
14 Sep 2010, 5:32 AM
Your requirements confuse me a little as I am not too sure if you're talking about developing a native web app (launching only from safari) or having an objective c wrapper. I may be too literal, but I think you're being a tad general.

ljf
14 Sep 2010, 5:43 AM
:-? OK.

I actually meant an Objective-C wrapper.

If you look at QuickConnect, most iPhone functions can be accessed from JS. And you can develop your own 'bridges' ~o). Hence my question as regards notifications.

By 'standalone' I mean a JS app wrapped in an Objective-C skeleton.

Hope that helps.

Laurent

jay@moduscreate.com
14 Sep 2010, 5:49 AM
In that case, you're limited to what the wrapper can provide as far as a 'bridge'. Do you see the same landscape mode issues inside of sencha touch using just safari?

ljf
14 Sep 2010, 6:00 AM
When using Safari on the iPhone (that's what I call online mode), KitchenSink work just fine.

I attached a copy of the iPhone screen in landscape mode. Maybe the problem is with the Objective-C wrapper (although I don't see where + this is the smallest/simplest Objective-C program you can write).

jay@moduscreate.com
14 Sep 2010, 6:06 AM
I would not say that Sencha Touch is fully supported outside of native Mobile browsers.

Do the other examples work with that wrapper? Are you using WebView?