PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with layout vs componentLayout?

orangechicken
13 Sep 2010, 2:43 PM
I'm having all kinds of problems with our app moving to 0.94. Lots of things aren't rendering. Looks like there's an unfinished move to a new componentLayout. What's the deal?

touchy
27 Oct 2010, 10:03 AM
As I'm chasing some issue with layout (a sibling not resizing) I am also looking into the details of how layout is working and I am wondering too, what is the deal with class Ext.Component config option componentLayout versus layout?

Admittedly, layout only is implemented from subclass Container down. But still, please explain.

Assuming it is clear from source code it apparently isn't clear from documentation.

Jamie Avins
27 Oct 2010, 1:50 PM
As ContainerLayouts (reference layout) define how a Container sizes it's child items - typically Components, ComponentLayouts (reference componentLayout) define how a Component sizes it's child items - typically Elements.

Most simple components are a single element, and use AutoComponentLayout to simply size that one Element. Some Components are more complicated such as Panels (which use DockLayout) and have many elements that need to be sized and positioned (toolbars, etc.).

Note that in ExtJS terms, ComponentLayout replaces the old onResize method to standardize and allow reuse/extension of onResize functions.