PDA

View Full Version : Convert Sencha Touch project to regular browser app

Alexxis
14 Sep 2010, 3:47 PM
Hi experts. I have been building a nice Sencha Touch app for the iPad, which I would like to use for the web as well (meaning on the computer just as any other website). What would the process of converting it be? Or what should I be careful about this?

Thanks

jay@moduscreate.com
16 Sep 2010, 5:16 AM
Hi experts. I have been building a nice Sencha Touch app for the iPad, which I would like to use for the web as well (meaning on the computer just as any other website). What would the process of converting it be? Or what should I be careful about this?

Thanks

There is no "conversion". The UI patterns for mobile and desktop apps are very different. You would have to build something separate.

jmdesp
16 Sep 2010, 7:51 AM
I have been building a nice Sencha Touch app for the iPad, which I would like to use for the web as well (meaning on the computer just as any other website). What would the process of converting it be? Or what should I be careful about this?

Sencha Touch apps run *only* on webkit based browsers (Safari, Chrome). This is probably not acceptable if your application is really a open web app that anyone can access. A solution could be to write two version of the application, one for Sencha Touch, another with Ext JS, that whilst different has a lot a similarities so you could resuse a significant portion of your app when using it. Or look for another HTML5 technology that is more widely compatible than Sencha Touch.

If you can impose a webkit based browser, Sencha Touch runs quite surprisingly well on a desktop. You'd just have to make sure nothing in your interface requires a pinch gesture, which can not be simulated with a mouse.

jay@moduscreate.com
16 Sep 2010, 8:00 AM
Sencha Touch apps run *only* on webkit based browsers (Safari, Chrome). This is probably not acceptable if your application is really a open web app that anyone can access. A solution could be to write two version of the application, one for Sencha Touch, another with Ext JS, that whilst different has a lot a similarities so you could resuse a significant portion of your app when using it. Or look for another HTML5 technology that is more widely compatible than Sencha Touch.

If you can impose a webkit based browser, Sencha Touch runs quite surprisingly well on a desktop. You'd just have to make sure nothing in your interface requires a pinch gesture, which can not be simulated with a mouse.

Mobile app UIs are designed to be easily read from a distance -- meaning that they are *large* by desktop web standards.

If i came across an app that looked like this for the desktop, i'd wonder if the devs were sight-impared or something.
http://tdg-i.com/img/screencasts/2010-09-16_1158.png

Also, consider the workflows for mobile apps are just wasteful for desktops. Swipe is one such workflow. Scrolling through a list by a mouse swipe action is just not natural and quite annoying. Testing ST apps using the ipad sim is just painful -- only because i can't touch the screen. I usually just load it on my ipad to get the full gesture set that the library was designed for.

jay@moduscreate.com
16 Sep 2010, 8:01 AM
Moved this thread to help as this is not a "feature request". Alexxis, please post in the proper forum next time.