PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Jack on 1,000 forum users

brian.moeskau
10 Dec 2006, 11:03 PM
The count is at 1,007 registered as I write this. Just wanted to acknowledge the milestone and congratulate Jack on his accomplishments with yui-ext so far. Looking forward to watching this community continue to grow! :D

Animal
11 Dec 2006, 2:02 AM
Yes, it's been amazing to see the forum become so active. I was one of the first few members. With posts rattling around the empty forum, it seemed like just me and Jack chatting to each other. It's incredible how quickly it's reached "critical mass".

jack.slocum
11 Dec 2006, 5:42 AM
Thanks guys. It's pretty amazing this project was just started in August!

saasira
11 Dec 2006, 8:38 AM
Hello Jack,

I don't know whether you have noticed or not,
but Your effort is being praised in all the corners web development.
For example the JSF Community has taken your API as the fresh guidelines for further imrovement of the UI Components KIT.
I'm sure Some one has already built some JSF components with your JavaScript API libraries as the backbone.
You have shown to the world that much still remains in web user interface design!
Hats off for your achievement!

jack.slocum
11 Dec 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks saasira. I appreciate the kind words. I was aware of one JSF lib integrating yui-ext, is there one that you know of? I always like to see what people are doing with it.

saasira
15 Dec 2006, 8:59 PM
See the following discussion on facelets development list:

I've been very interested in the yui stuff-- one of the reasons why I'm
pulling the Facelets 1.2 dependency on prototype out is to better
accomodate pluggability with yui-ext, it'd be a great component set,
especially if you could wire some of the event listeners Jack has around
his grid component to backing beans-- declare the grid component and
then have the component aut-deliver the XML markup required to power the
grid and received updates back to the server again to update the model--
something perfectly suited for the Facelets 1.2 features with Avatar :-)

by Jacob Hookm

Is it not possible to start developing those new YUI/YUI-EXT kind of Components in JSF (either myface/trinidad/or somenewfaces), so that we can have a complete set of Components in the JSF framework itself, rather than go for JavaScript libraries and keep the burden of learning the advanced javascript back on the developer?

I think this is the time to start looking into developing layouts, drag and drop features, tabbed browsing, Resizable components, etc..!

Shouldn't the JSF Community look into this issue with some seriousness, and start buiding new , and Rich web 2.0 UI Components?
[
by me
quote]

Like this?

http://blogs.steeplesoft.com/2006/05/25/yahoo-ui-meets-javaserver-faces/

I've not been able to work on for it a bit, but I have[1] the calendar and menu components working, with a friend looking into the tree view component. Jack Slocum's work is also on the to do list, but that takes time. I've not pushed this too much publically, beyond telling people I'm working on it, as we're trying to decide on a good home (with respect to the JSF RI). Once that happens, I'll migrate the code from where it is, probably rebrand it, and start publicizing it a bit more.

[1] These two components were working well until I upgraded to YUI 0.12.0. They made some small changes in the API that I haven't had a chance to catch up with yet. I hope to try to make time today, but we'll have to see.

-----
Jason Lee, SCJP
Programmer/Analyst
http://www.iec-okc.com

[/quote]

jack.slocum
16 Dec 2006, 10:03 AM
Very nice, thank you!