PDA

View Full Version : misc questions about sencha

frank06
24 Sep 2010, 1:45 AM
Hi there,

I am a co-founder at Widescript and we're using Sencha Touch to build our app. It looks neat! My focus is mostly on the backend, but I progressively want to get more involved in client-side development.

I therefore know very little about Sencha and Sencha Touch.

1. Sencha seems to provide a ton of features out-of-the-box. As I strongly believe in modular code (small reusable parts), and we're definitely not making use of Sencha Touch's 34050 loc, I would like to ask how can we trim it down to only what we need (in our case, cross-browser compatibility and performance optimizations for mobile, etc).

2. I tend to have more confidence in projects that are used by people with good reputation in the tech world. I would love to know which influential devs/startups are using Sencha Touch (or Ext) today! (That is, aside from Fortune-500 companies).

3. Given Sencha Touch is not closed-source, I hoped to easily find the code repository. It is invaluable to follow latest developments and contribute with patches. There's nothing at http://github.com/extjs. Could you point me in the right direction?

4. You have kindly answered on Twitter to my question about the forums not being indexed by search engines. Every single forum out there is somehow available in Google, but Sencha is not! So I have to separately do to a Custom Search? Is there a reason why?

I do hope that this "closedness" is merely accidental.

Thank you in advance!

Francisco

jay@moduscreate.com
24 Sep 2010, 8:32 AM
1) To Trim down the size, you will need to construct your own. There is not much documentation on how to do this, but your download has a JSBuilder directory that you can use.

2) Lots of companies (including all of my customers since 2006) have used Ext JS and are now looking to use Sencha Touch. Look at the Sencha blog and you'll see some startup company showcases.

3) To have access to the repos, you need to have a support subscription. If you have any issues w/ that contact licensing@sencha.com -- i can't do anything for you in that arena. For now you have to download the builds that are available.

4) I always search the forums via 'site:sencha.com/forum my search query'.

P.S. "Sencha" is the company. Do you say you use "Microsoft" or "Apple"? :)

frank06
26 Sep 2010, 12:23 PM
1) Ok, cool, will try that! (hope it's not too complicated)

2) Hmm there are only 2, and they're not using Sencha Touch. Anyway.

3) That's a bummer, and I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I hope you guys will be able to think it over. I might contact licensing@sencha.com, but maybe not.

4) So, that does not answer my question. Searching the web and additionally having to search within a particular forum is extra hassle. I seriously don't understand.

Sorry - I really don't mean to be that critic but I am just spoiled by the beauty of open-source collaboration on github (et al).

jay@moduscreate.com
26 Sep 2010, 2:34 PM
1) Ok, cool, will try that! (hope it's not too complicated)

2) Hmm there are only 2, and they're not using Sencha Touch. Anyway.

3) That's a bummer, and I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I hope you guys will be able to think it over. I might contact licensing@sencha.com, but maybe not.

4) So, that does not answer my question. Searching the web and additionally having to search within a particular forum is extra hassle. I seriously don't understand.

Sorry - I really don't mean to be that critic but I am just spoiled by the beauty of open-source collaboration on github (et al).

I'm a volunteer dude. :( I can voice my opinion, but that's it.

frank06
28 Sep 2010, 12:14 PM
Oh... ok. Thanks for answering. I wish Sencha Inc. could shed some more light regarding these points.