PDA

View Full Version : Empty GUI on Lenny

peanutmedia
7 Oct 2010, 10:40 PM
Hello,

I'm sorry, I didn't want to post this into bugs as it might be the simple case of me missing something, perhaps a dependency or just a setting...

The problem I'm having is, under Debian Lenny the Designer doesn't display any of the GUI elements (canvas, toolbox, the component tree and the configuration grid), when it starts up it only gives me an empty grey screen with the Ext logo on it (the same that displays under Windows before the GUI is loaded).

This problem has been present since 1.0.2, 1.0.1 is running fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Andy Pasztirak, Peanut Media

jarrednicholls
8 Oct 2010, 5:28 AM
That is most bizarre Andy. Perhaps if you try following these steps, incase the application didn't automatically update to the latest version: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?103738-Manual-Upgrade-Instructions-to-xds-1.0.2.14

Let me know if that straightens it out. If not we'll take the next step.

peanutmedia
8 Oct 2010, 7:56 AM
That is most bizarre Andy. Perhaps if you try following these steps, incase the application didn't automatically update to the latest version: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?103738-Manual-Upgrade-Instructions-to-xds-1.0.2.14

Let me know if that straightens it out. If not we'll take the next step.
Hi Jarred,

This is actually a freshly downloaded installer (from yesterday), I checked the ini file and the xds-1.0.2.14.ion in the config folder, all seems to be in order there. I would love to provide a more verbose debug information but unfortunately I get no error messages from the terminal at all.

I would appreciate your help on this!

Cheers,
Andy

peanutmedia
11 Oct 2010, 12:35 PM
Hey Jarred,

Is there any news on this - or is there something I can help with in terms of debugging the problem? It's a pretty serious one for me as every time I want to use the designer I have to start Windows but I'm doing most of my work in Linux, which makes the coding a bit tedious!

Thanks,
Andy

peanutmedia
12 Oct 2010, 4:33 AM
I have to apologise for the number of posts I'm making here but I want to keep this thread up to date... I found that if I start the designer without parameters it will display the default background (as described above the ExtJS logo) after trying to start a new project.

However, if I try to open an existing project (./ExtDesigner ~/extproject/admin-interface.xds) and then start a new project from the menu then it works perfectly fine. I hope this will be of some help for anyone investigating this issue!

Cheers,
Andy

jarrednicholls
12 Oct 2010, 9:50 AM
Hey Andy,

Try deleting all files in the following folders:

~/.local/share/data/Ext JS, Inc./Ext Designer/
~/.config/Ext JS, Inc./

Then, launch the Designer. Re-authenticate, and then It will say an update is available...go ahead and install that. Afterwards, do you have any better luck? I'm thinking perhaps something is corrupt in the LocalStorage of the application, i.e., something in the "Recent Projects" list that is bad. Not too sure. As of now, nothing is wrong with your installation because you are getting the shell to launch. Beyond the shell launching, it is either an error in localstorage or a javascript error. Since this issue isn't occurring with anyone else's installation, it's not a javascript error :-)

Let me know.

peanutmedia
15 Oct 2010, 12:33 AM
Hey Jarred,

Thanks for the advice, I tried it last night, unfortunately it produced the same results after removing the files in the directories above.

I have also tried removing said directories completely, and Ext Designer, and reinstalling from scratch but I had no luck with it, same things happen. Authentication works fine, I get to the welcome window where I can pick whether I want a new project or an old one (I guess because I had no project saved in it, but the only option that actually shows is the new project one), then as soon as I click the new project button I'm given the grey background with the Ext logo.

Loading an existing project still works fine, and I can start a new one from there, so it's a strange thing to happen!

jarrednicholls
15 Oct 2010, 4:43 AM
Are you running Gnome or KDE?

peanutmedia
15 Oct 2010, 7:15 AM
It's ratpoison, sorry, should have mentioned that earlier. I will give it a go on GNOME a bit later and will let you know how it went!

jarrednicholls
15 Oct 2010, 7:20 AM
Ok sounds good. I've tried it using awesome and it didn't work out so well. Qt is built against X11 and technically should work fine, but there may be some issues there. From a technical standpoint, it *should* work fine...albeit you will need that mouse, unfortunately ;-)

peanutmedia
29 Nov 2010, 3:14 AM
Hello Jarred,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy as of late and only now got a chance to test this with GNOME.

It appears that on Lenny if GNOME isn't installed there might be a missing dependency as after installing GNOME it started working in Ratpoison as well.

Might be worth looking into this further - I hope - as the only reason I have GNOME installed at the moment is running ExtDesigner, and that's a big overhead on an old laptop! :) Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Andy

jarrednicholls
29 Nov 2010, 9:38 AM
Ok thanks for letting me know Andy. That's quite interesting. I'll look into this further to see if there's a dependency being automatically picked up by Qt.

Jarred

peanutmedia
12 Jan 2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Jarred,

Did you manage to find anything about this? The 1.0.3 breaks again, but this time not even opening an empty project (with no controls in) - as opposed to starting a new one - works.

Thanks,
Andy

jarrednicholls
12 Jan 2011, 12:05 PM
Hey Andy,

Are you still running ratpoison? The application currently needs a window-based manager, because the layout of the application doesn't occur until the window is sized. In a tiled-based or screen-based WM, I suspect that window-sizing simply doesn't occur, so a layout event isn't occurring. If there's a way to "resize your tile/screen" after the application has launched, this might solve the issue and force a layout. Does this make sense?

P.S. We'll try to resolve this layout-after-app-launch dependency in the near future.

peanutmedia
12 Jan 2011, 3:56 PM
Hi Jarrred,

Brilliant, this solved my issue temporarily, I hope you will find a better solution soon but at least I can use it for now, thank you very much!

edit: To answer your question, it's still ratpoison, yes, and the solution was as you suggested, resizing the frame (or to be precise, splitting it).

jarrednicholls
12 Jan 2011, 3:58 PM
That's great to hear Andy, thanks for reporting back. Yes, we'll find a better solution soon!