PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with Sencha touch?

gearond
15 Oct 2010, 11:27 PM
I would like baby steps, I'm basically a backend programmer.

Also, Where does ExtJS end and SenchaTouch begin? What should I download, especially if I want to do a lot of testing in a Desktop browser at first?

Stoot98
16 Oct 2010, 12:53 PM
ExtJS and Sencha Touch are totally different products. Although their structure and classes are (very) similar they work in different ways because of the nature of the intended targets. However, if you know your way around ExtJS you're likely to find it fairly easy to transition to Sencha Touch and get things up and working quickly.

First thing would be to familiarise yourselve with the syntax and coding patterns. Look at the tutorials and screencasts that are about in the Learning Centre - even ExtJS ones are useful if you're wanting to go down the Sencha Touch route. Study the examples and play around by changing configs and seeing the results.

The biggest advice I think is to persist, don't get overwhelmed by the learning curve, cos it is quite steep, especially if your JS experience is limited. Focus on getting small things working before getting swamped with the big application you want to create.

gearond
16 Oct 2010, 1:55 PM
Good advice. I know quite a bit about other areas, and it IS frustrating to start over again in a new language/environment (sort of like immigrating :-). So taking it easy is good advice.