PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 application List?!

AndreaCammarata
2 Nov 2010, 1:49 AM
Hi guys,
I open this post because I need some information about contest submission.
I explain my problem:
I entry the contest before the deadline and submit my application.
Looking at the forum i read that a lot of entry was not choosen for the top ten application list, by getting an e-mail from sencha who informed them about the decision.
Now my problem is that today, 02/11/2010, I still got no e-mails saying if I'm in or out the list and I'm really getting crazy waiting for a response. Now my question is: does everyone who join the contest got the same e-mail from sencha? The mail was delivered only to entry was not accepted to the top ten or even the finalist got the e-mail which informed them was on the top ten list?

Please someone reply to me, because I'm really working night and day to my application, but if I'm not on the list I could slow down a little bit :(.

andersjj
2 Nov 2010, 11:50 AM
I also have not received an email either way and before I read this post I just thought I was out of the running. If there were entries that got a "not selected" email, then I'm curious if all rejections got an email to that effect.

AndreaCammarata
2 Nov 2010, 1:51 PM
Hi andersjj thank you for your reply. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that still doesn't got neither a "not selected" email. This situation is really weird. Please let us know if our application was choosen for the top ten or even not. Maybe we had been disqualify for some reason or maybe you are still fetching all the requests, but please, tell us something. I even try to send some private message to sencha developer and management team, but I still got no reply. Can someone please telling us what is going on? Remember that everyone spend a lot of time and energy to develop an application, so every kind of Sencha feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steffen Hiller
2 Nov 2010, 6:06 PM
I really feel sorry for you guys, I completely agree that not knowing really sucks. It may sound stupid, but maybe check again in your spam folders. The email was sent from Michael Mullany.

AndreaCammarata
3 Nov 2010, 12:23 AM
Hi Steffen, yeah it really sucks! Another user wrote me the same: he got the email form Michael Mullany, but for me, no mail was delivered from him. Thank you for your suggest, in fact it was the first thing I've done to check my spam directory but...nothing....there's no mail about the contest. However, I'm sure that my iscription was correctly done, because i saw someone visit my application on date 29/10/2010 by my Google Analitics account. And He was the only visitor from California. So i don't really know what else I can do! So please Michael Mullany send me (us) an email about the contest decision.

VinylFox
4 Nov 2010, 7:52 AM
Only one of the judges in the contest was located in California I believe. The other three were elsewhere in the US and Canada.

Could it be that your app was not in English? That was one of the requirements.

AndreaCammarata
4 Nov 2010, 7:59 AM
Hi VinyFox, thanks for your reply!
My application was totally in english, I even wrote 12 pages documentation in english and this is why I think this is really weird situation.

Take a look at this post i wrote some minutes ago:
http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?114692-Aral-CMS-Looking-for-talented-designers-and-CSS3-animators!

To the bottom there is all the required information you need to enter to my contest application.
If you want I can even send you the url to read the full english documentation I wrote for the contest.
I had to write it in Italian and then translate it in English...(12 pages).
Now you can understand why I'm a bit disappointed.
I spend a lot of time working on this contest!

Can you tell me why I got no reply from Sencha?
Thanks again VinylFox!

VinylFox
4 Nov 2010, 8:30 AM
Sorry, i have no idea why you received no response from Sencha, they don't tell me about those types of things. I just do community support on a volunteer basis, im not an employee of Sencha.

AndreaCammarata
4 Nov 2010, 8:53 AM
Ok thank you anyway!

mmullany
9 Nov 2010, 10:54 PM
andrea - I know we've talked on email, but I should add a post here for everyone else's benefit. The note next to your contest entry was "no app present". There were a number of entries whose URL was unresponsive or where we were brought to a placeholder page. In these cases, we just moved on (we had just a few days to review 200 entries). Having rechecked your app, I can see that it's now actually live and it's an actual app. We didn't screen capture our review or we could figure out what exactly happened when we went to your URL (it's always entirely possible we mis-typed it or the internet decided to glitch), there is no replay to check if the referee made a mistake. If we did, I apologize.

mmullany
9 Nov 2010, 10:57 PM
All entries with apps present got an email from me telling them that they were either a finalist or not. As I say below to Andrea, there were a number of apps where the URL provided didn't respond or brought us to a placeholder page, so they were immediately disqualified. If you can email me at michael AT sencha, I can look up your entry explicitly.

AndreaCammarata
10 Nov 2010, 1:10 AM
Having rechecked your app, I can see that it's now actually live and it's an actual app. We didn't screen capture our review or we could figure out what exactly happened when we went to your URL (it's always entirely possible we mis-typed it or the internet decided to glitch), there is no replay to check if the referee made a mistake. If we did, I apologize.

Hi Michael,
I'm really disappointed about this situation but even really sorry becuase I think Sencha is a great company and I didn't expected to involve in a situation like this.
But at this point this is very funny: "Are you telling me that maybe you or someone else wrong typed my application url and for this I'm been disqualify?". Please tell me that this was not what you meant!
When I subscribe to the contest I wrote in clear letters to read the twelve page documentation before visit my app.
Did you read at least a word about it?
If was me that open a contest like this, and someone send me twelve pages of documentation, I would think 100 times before disqualify him, or, at least, I would send him an e-mail asking for possibile troubles if I wasn't able to see the application.
This is was I expect from professional people. Don't you agree???
As I wrote in the documentation and in the e-mail I send you (replied 7 days after), I even rent a dedicated server to makes my project idea real, and it has been always online!
I can see a lot of people saw it all around the world thanks to my Google Analytics account.
I even got a lot of e-mails from people who wants information about the project and express interests about it.
Look, with this I absolutely don't wanna say that my application is the top, but I'm just saying that I expected jat least a feedback about it from Sencha for the work done. I invest money and time in this contest and I has been disqualify silently without anyone say to me a word.
That's not a professional way to work.

However I still think Sencha is a great framework and a great company and I'm really sorry about this situation!
I expected another kind of feedback from Sencha but...no problem, I have other people interested in the project.

Now that as you say,you was able to see my application and see how much work has been done, I think you can uderstand my disappoint.
Sorry if I am too explicit writing this post, but I'm very disappointed.

Cheers

mmullany
10 Nov 2010, 7:29 AM
Andrea. I hear and understand your frustration. If this was our mistake, I sincerely apologize.

AndreaCammarata
10 Nov 2010, 8:32 AM
Michael I accept the apology even if this don't pay me for all the hours spent to develope night and day, but there's still one thing to understand. When i subscribe to the contest I read in the official contest rules the following sentence: "On registration, Entrants will receive a free Sencha Touch commercial license for any applications submitted as part of this contest".
Now, if this was your fault I expect to get at least the commercial license as the official contest rules I subscribe sending you my prototype say.

AndreaCammarata
11 Nov 2010, 11:55 AM
Can someone of Sencha management team answer to my post?
Thanks.

mmullany
11 Nov 2010, 6:31 PM
That seems like a very reasonable request andrea. I'll follow-up in email.

-- michael

AndreaCammarata
12 Nov 2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks Michael, I'll wait for your email then.

AndreaCammarata
17 Nov 2010, 3:30 AM
Hi All,
I would like to express my personal opinion about Sencha Contest, and I really like to know what do you think about it.
Let's start to say that I appreciate all the works posted to the contest because I can understand there's a lot of work behind them and even if, from my point of view, some applications I saw in the top ten are absolutely not a "must have application", I want to post the congratulations to everyone joined the contest.
Now I wanna say something about the contest:
Let's talk about the contest application winner: "DailyCrossword". I really like this application and is well developed but, c'mon, does it really works 10000$? I still remember when I start high school and we start to develope the first softwares in Visual Basic. The crossoword application was one of the first application we develope to make us understand how matrix and array works. So from my point of view this is not a winner application. I saw something better on the top ten!
Now, if you read this post, I think you already know what happen to my contest sumbission, and...I don't wanna spent more words about it!
Sencha neither offer me to rejoin the contest although it was them fault. I asked for a free commercial license of Sencha Touch framework (repeat, I ASK) as the official contest rules said, at this point Sencha activated me a free coupon to buy the product but it doesn't work and I'm still waiting for an answer about it.
After some days I know that Sencha Touch is now released for free to everyone, even for the one who doesn't joined the contest, so....are you kidding me?

I really have no more words to spend about it, I think, and I hope to reflect the opinion about others developers that joined the contest that has been a bit cheated from this "contest".

Just last thing:
The official contest rules said that the appications would be valutated by:

- Quality / Functionality: the final application or service must be fully functional and run
successfully on a mobile device supported by Sencha Touch. First round entries must provide a
substantially complete user interface but may lack complete functionality such as live data.
- HTML5 Technology Usage: the application demonstrates innovative use of HTML5 technologies
(canvas, video, CSS3 etc.) to create interesting and useful user experiences
- Innovation: something we haven't seen before, or haven't seen before in a web application
- User Experience: provides excellent user interface and interaction design

Now you have to ask yourself: Does it really "DailyCrossword" is the top we can develope with Sencha? Does this application respect all the requires written into the official contest rules?

I wait for your feedback!

Cheers

aborjinos
17 Nov 2010, 7:42 AM
Hi Andrea,

First of all, I would like to say I am really sorry for your contest submission. I can understand you and you are really right to be pissed, but this is not related with DailyCrossword. If you see only array and matrix operations on this app, I think you should review your programming skills. I just wanna ask you, Do you know that who judged these apps?

As a short info ( and you can find details here: http://notes.sencha.com/post/1408538407/sencha-touch-app-contest-final-day )

Joe Hewitt, the amazing software engineer behind iUI, Firebug, and Facebook for iPhone.
Brian LeRoux, software developer at Nitobi and behind some fantastic projects like PhoneGap, XUI, and LawnChair.
Josh Clark, speaker and author of Tapworthy, a widely acclaimed book on iPhone application design.
David Kaneda, designer and developer, creator of jQTouch, and currently the creative director at Sencha.

I think your message is disrespect to these guys. OK everyone can make mistake but four of them? I don't think so.

and i wanna ask you one more question do you really think that http://code.google.com/android/adc/adc_gallery these apps worth 275.000$ . This is just marketing and advertisement.

Regards,

AndreaCammarata
17 Nov 2010, 7:51 AM
Hi aborjinos,
Do you really read my post? Maybe you don't correct understand what i tried to say or maybe I don't express myselft correctly.
I said that i really like the "DailyCrossword" application, but I don't see innovation if teachers made us develop the same application around 10 years ago. And that was the same: "load the puzzle schemes from ini files". I'm not saing that that application is stupid or bad developed or something else, I'm saying that at the top ten, there are application that offers something new than a crosswords application. This is my personal point of view, I respect your so I don't undestand why you don't have to respect mine. If I prefer to use an iPad for a delivery service instead a crosswords application, what is wrong with that?

I said I respect the work behind every application because I know the hard work behind each one, as every developer knows, but let me free to express my opinion that for me there are applications that worths more on the top ten for innovation and Html5 standards (the requires for the contest).
And don't worry about my programming skills, I have clients all around Europe :)

PS: I notice you have not read my previous post: They have not seen my application at all cuz they mistyped my application url address. I screen recorded my contest entry and I have server logs that show my application was always online. But I don't want talk anymore about this. Sencha team already apologize.

Cheers

niravmehta
22 Nov 2010, 12:44 PM
I come from jQuery background, found Sencha Touch to be exciting and learnt Sencha / ExtJS to enter the contest. My app was surely not the greatest. But I felt it was very useful! My reaction to the Top 10 list was that Sencha has probably given more weight to design and aesthetics than innovation or functionality.

I certainly found some of the top 10 apps to be quite basic. I loved some of the apps that were being discussed in these forums more than the top 10.

But I think this is alright. Sencha's purpose organizing the contest is different. They want to promote Sencha. And it gets good press if the winning apps look good and are easy to understand by common users.

I got a lot to learn and I think that's what I am taking for myself from this contest.

Best to all...

AndreaCammarata
25 Nov 2010, 7:07 AM
Hi niravmehta and thanks for your feedback.
I agree with you in everything.
Sencha wanted to promote itself so the judges took the application that was easyer to use for everyone and with the best design so that's ok. I just wanted to express my personal opinion about the innovation requirement Sencha asked into the official contest rules, and, I think, most of us who joined the contest, like you done, tried to develope something usefull instead something "beauty to see". But I'm not a judje, so it's absolutely right that Sencha reserves itself the right to pick the application they was looking for promote the company and the framework. My disappointment was based on this argument: "Sencha Touch is an amazing framework never seen before, so I expect that even the winner application takes all the best about it and become itself something never seen before to show off what you can really develope thanks to Sencha in terms of innovation". Maybe this was a wrong way to live the contest, but that's what I thought to offer to Sencha to promote the company. Nothing more, this is only my personal opinion and interpretation of the contest. My post was not for offence purpose like somebody said.
However the contest push me up to learn even more how the framework works and I can really say that it offers to developers endless opportunities.

However, just to everybody know, if you read my previous posts, you already know my BIG problem about my contest entry. Well once again, Sencha doesn't lose the opportunity to demostrate his professionality even in this situation, in fact, after apologize and send me a free coupon to use whenever I want to buy a Sencha product, they invited me to the 2011 Sencha conference with a free pass, airfare and hotel paid for even to demonstrate how much they care about comunity members supports. As I already said in the first post I wrote, even if I was really disappointed about this situation, I really belive in this company and, after the support all the Sencha team reserved me about it, I belive even more in my convinctions.

Cheers guys and thanks again to all the Sencha Team!

niravmehta
25 Nov 2010, 9:29 AM
Congratulations on winning sponsored entry to next year's conference. That itself is a nice price for all your excellent efforts.

Time now for me to finish up the pending app and roll it out to general public!