PDA

View Full Version : Sencha Touch capabilities

jrobasse
30 Nov 2010, 6:07 AM
The company where i work is in the process of determining what development environment we want to use to create mobile applications. I really like the mobile website method instead of developing device specific applications.

We are totally new to the mobile development arena. I've looked through the examples and I haven't seen any using a XML as the data source. Can someone point me to an XML datasource example using Sencha Touch? The AJAX example seems to be pointing to JSON file.

Also would it help to get the entire development package (EXT Designer) to develop Sencha Touch applications or do those with experience just code with notepad or a JS editor? I saw somewhere that a Sencha Touch designer tool is in the works?

Thanks
Jeff

mrsunshine
30 Nov 2010, 1:03 PM
We are totally new to the mobile development arena. I've looked through the examples and I haven't seen any using a XML as the data source. Can someone point me to an XML datasource example using Sencha Touch? The AJAX example seems to be pointing to JSON file.
There are no xml data examples at the moment afaik. But you only have to use a Ext.data.XmlReader instead of a Ext.data.JsonReader

Also would it help to get the entire development package (EXT Designer) to develop Sencha Touch applications or do those with experience just code with notepad or a JS editor? I saw somewhere that a Sencha Touch designer tool is in the works?

i work with Eclipse + SPKET plugin, you can also use Aptana or Textmate + Sencha Bundle.
There will be a Sencha Designer in the future which you can use for building sencha touch interfaces

evant
30 Nov 2010, 2:38 PM
There is an XML data example: http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/touch/examples/carousel2/