PDA

View Full Version : GXT Registry - Pros and Cons

gxtyas
21 Dec 2010, 10:30 AM
Sven,

Could you please list the pros and cons of using Registry? When it is ideal to use and when to avoid using Registry ?

sven
22 Dec 2010, 7:59 AM
I would always avoid using it. If you need access to something, you should design your classes in a way so you have direct access to it without going over a lookup.

gxtyas
22 Dec 2010, 8:43 AM
Thanks a lot Sven for your quick response , Could you please briefly explain why we should always avoid using Registry?

It will really help us in making our design decision . Looking forward to hear from you.

sven
22 Dec 2010, 8:46 AM
Because if you have to use Registry to access something on multiply places you have desgined something wrong in your application. There are only a very few exceptions to this.

Most times there are far better, more eligant ways for this. Also other ways are far easier to debug.

ram.ghadiyaram@gmail.com
28 Apr 2011, 10:47 PM
Hi Sven,
I have some data in my web application like ldap groups information(based on email id) which is small data . Earlier we used to get it from database for every method call. Obviously it will be slow. I want to cache that in to some temporary storage which is specific to client.

Should I prefer HTTP session or GXT Registry class for doing this?
Basically how much data Registry can hold?