PDA

View Full Version : SenchaTouch for non-touch phones like BlackBerry Curve

sanjaysharma
25 Dec 2010, 6:57 AM
Can we develop application for smartphones which does not have touch capability using sencha. For an enterprise need, we need to develop a solution based on a framework which support the existing variety of mobiles. Lot of mobiles like Blackberry curve and bold does not have touch enabled features. is ther any way out to extend the app developed by Sencha touch to those devices ?

mitchellsimoens
26 Dec 2010, 7:51 AM
Sencha Touch will work on any WebKit browser. This means any iOS device, Android device, Chrome on desktop, Safari on desktop, and the new BlackBerry broswer (the WebKit one) like on the Torch.

sanjaysharma
26 Dec 2010, 11:37 PM
The new blackberry Bold 9780 has a webkit browser but I am not able to scroll the screen using Sencha code. The application is working finr on iPhone and blackberry torch which are touch enabled. However, I am not able to navigate within a screen on Blackberry Bold 9780. I am not able to click on buttons and and I am not able to scroll down on the screen. all these fatures are working fine on desktop, iPhone and BB Torch

kevinwmerritt
21 Feb 2011, 12:10 PM
Will an upcoming version of Sencha Touch support BlackBerry 6+ devices without touch support?

mitchellsimoens
21 Feb 2011, 12:57 PM
Guess it wouldn't be called Sencha T o u c h

Browski
13 Aug 2011, 12:19 PM
Hi Mitchell,

In my opinion, what kevinwmerritt & sanjaysharma meant is that non-touch blackberry phone (bold, curve) also got OS6.0 capabilities. In fact, I have seen it loading much faster than on Android 2.1. If the touch function could be emulated by cursor (like on PC with Safari and chrome), thousands of users would ba able to access apps that are already out there.

So far, it can be done, using phonegap after changing this code in sencha-touch-debug.js (found on resilientcoder blogspot)
Line 4763:
Touch: ('ontouchstart' in window) && (!Ext.is.Desktop && !Ext.is.Blackberry),

Line 13964:
if (!Ext.desktop && !Ext.Blackberry) {...}

Line 18217:
if (Ext.is.Desktop || Ext.is.Blackberry) {...}

In my opinion, there is huge potential by making this accessible, without having to wrap the app in phonegap. I would love to be told I am retarded and that such plugin is already out there :).

Browski