PDA

View Full Version : Need for better turorial for Sencha Touch - especially for those with EXT background

grzegorz.borkowski
29 Dec 2010, 9:42 AM
I've just started playing with Sencha Touch. I'm experienced Ext-JS developer, but there are many differences in Touch, so I'm a bit lost. Looking at Sencha touch documentation page, I see only one tutorial/getting started article (geotweets) there. That one is good as a first step. But it's too little to write a serious application. Definitely, the second step is needed. So I think there should be the companion tutorial(s), which could cover following areas (especially the things which are different against Ext 3.x):
- structure of sencha touch mvc application. At least 2 controllers, 2 views, 2 model classes with relationships
- navigation - how those "routes" work
- data retrieval - reading data (with relationships) from json restful service, writing changes back to service; storing/reading data into/from localstorage when no active connection to service
- application of some layouts
- using the test framework (it's called jasmine?) for testing the application
- I've heard about sth called Sencha command, is it already released? than it could be mentioned too.
- perhaps theming wits SAAS too (but it was already covered on blog, so not much need for this).

From what I understand, all those things will be done the same way in Ext 4 (though I'm not sure about SASS - does it handle pre-html5 theming too?). This way we would have the tutorial for Ext 4.0 too, ready to use when 4.0 is out.

Any hope to have it soon? Having fantastic framework/library is a good thing, but when people don't know how to use it, the framework is useless. Having well documented API is necessary, but we all know that almost every developer, when starting to learn new technology, seeks for tutorials first.

fgeorge
29 Dec 2010, 11:30 AM
i totally agree..the tutorials need to be much more explanatory, especially the data access ones..

jay@moduscreate.com
29 Dec 2010, 12:09 PM
FWIW, sencha touch in action is in the works. we hope to be in meap phase in about two or three months.

sdruckerfig
31 Dec 2010, 4:49 PM
And don't forget the official two-day instructor-led Sencha Touch training class, which comes with a 270 page workbook. The applications that you build during the class are posted at http://www.senchatouchtraining.com

lexer
8 Feb 2011, 11:51 AM
Please add Navbar into next mvc sample, which is working with controllers.

Routing info would also useful.