PDA

View Full Version : Terminal TouchScreen Applications

davisty
26 Jan 2011, 6:08 PM
We are interested in developing a terminal touchscreen application. A restaurant/bar system would be an example.

Could Sencha support this?

Also will the new extJS4 incorporate any Sencha features?

Thanx in advance.

gcallaghan
27 Jan 2011, 4:33 PM
I think sencha touch would support this. Currently I am scaling the view between phone and desktop, so I know that scaling a sencha app to full screen could work quite well. The only way I can think of doing this would be to have the terminal really be running a "chromeless" browser, either chrome or safari. Sencha Touch currently translates mouse clicks into touch events, so even if you had a touch screen that didn't support multi touch and simply mimicked mouse clicks it should work with that.

jay@moduscreate.com
28 Jan 2011, 11:08 AM
I'm working on a POS system using Ext JS for Motionsoft, where we use Ext JS for the desktop edition and Sencha Touch for the mobile iPad version.

What type of features are you looking for other than a "touch" interface?

davisty
31 Jan 2011, 6:46 AM
Just a touch screen. We're also looking at being able to use the effects from sencha.

One question though, what is the difference between browsers that use chrome and ones that dont?

jay@moduscreate.com
31 Jan 2011, 7:06 AM
Just a touch screen. We're also looking at being able to use the effects from sencha.

One question though, what is the difference between browsers that use chrome and ones that dont?

Chrome provides 2D CSS3-powered effects, where Safari provides 3D-accelerated events.

An example of a 3D effect, as seen in Sencha Touch in Action:
http://tdg-i.com/img/screencasts/2011-01-31_1005.png

Sencha Touch *will not* work in Safari and IE.

The important thing is to understand that Sencha Touch is designed for Mobile devices and not desktop-web.

kevinwmerritt
9 Feb 2011, 6:56 AM
I am using Sencha Touch to develop a terminal gui for displaying business information. Right now it is mainly for displaying static intranet pages and images. I have also embedded an Xcelsius dashboard via iframe. Currently I'm using Chrome and an HP touch smart machine.

One thing I've noticed is that mousedown animations are not registered well via HP's touch implementation. I imagine this is a combination of the HP drivers and the chrome browser. Currently I have a carousel and a few tab bars that look pretty good.

The 3D effects in Chrome are not rendered as well as iOS. For example you will not get the nice cube animation to look right. Otherwise, transitions look pretty good.

davisty
9 Feb 2011, 10:20 AM
coolBeans ...Thanx man.

One other question. Does drag and drop work in "terminal mode" (for lack of a better name)?

Thanx again ...

pmarko
11 Feb 2011, 1:47 PM
Yes. It works well in Google Chrome and Safari. Here is my implementation of Sencha Touch in desktop environment using standard touchscreens /ELOTOUCH 15"/.
EDIT : DD works as well.. there are few diferencies to compare with extjs but remember. you are still in JS environment so you can do almost anything. see the virtual keyboard below as example.