PDA

View Full Version : Handset/Phone recommendation

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 6:28 AM
I'm sorta surprised there is no sticky thread in this forum about the actual handsets. Like I want to upgrade my phone from Blackberry Storm to something else on Verizon, and it'd be nice to see other peoples' experience with their handsets, especially for developing with Sencha Touch.

I suppose I could have upgraded to one of the Android models all along, but I've known that the iPhone would be available on Verizon so I waited. Now I'm not so sure.

First some technical issues with Verizon. They use CDMA and their 3G network doesn't allow for a data call and voice call to go on at the same time. This means you can't be talking to someone and say, "hang on a sec" and look up something on the Web with the browser. Not sure about the 4G network, and the first iPhone offered is 3G anyhow. Anyone know if this is going to be true of their 4G (LTE) network?

Many where I work have the iPhone and love it. Those who've had both an iPhone and Android tell me the software is free on the Android but you get what you pay for. Most of it is garbage, they tell me.

On the other hand, the newer Android phones are technically superior to the iPhone - bigger screens, faster LCDs, more megapixels in the cameras, just faster at everything... And if I'm lucky enough to be in Verizon's 4G market, I could get a 4G model. I might have to wait for one of those, though, or maybe by then they'll be selling 4G iPhones.

Apple has historically had the reputation of "quality" though their hardware has been underpowered and overpriced for what you could get elsewhere. This appears to be true of the iPhone as well - at least at this point.

I suppose I could be persuaded to jump from Verizon to another carrier if it made sense. I'm quite familiar with mobile programming and technology having written software for mobile phones for years. The Verizon network has always been the best, in my experience - those people with iPhones tell me they get dropped calls all the time, especially if they're in a car.

There's also the issue of Sencha running on the devices. I've not wholly followed the technical issues with Touch so far, but I have seen a few threads about it not working quite as well on the Androids as on iPhone. It's still in development, which is fine.

Your advice is appreciated.

mitchellsimoens
31 Jan 2011, 8:26 AM
The iPhone is a great piece of hardware. Great battery life also. I have had Android since the original G1. My opinion is if you are a nerd, you will be fine. That being said, I have several female friends who are... um, girly girls and they love using Android. It has it's quirks and the UI isn't as polished as iOS (IMHO) but I wouldn't say "Most of it is garbage" at all. There is a reason they saw 615% increase world wide Q4 of 2010.

About 4G, I have the Evo 4G with Sprint now and I never use 4G. I pay $10 extra a month and never use it. The Evo sucks battery life without 4G and drains it with it on. This is the biggest problem with all the Android phones, battery. iPhone can last quite a while compared to Android. My Evo with texting and Twittering last around 10 hours. If I talk on it at all, 6-8 hours. That's with a 33% larger capacity battery than stock! I have a friend (who texts, browses and plays games) that has an iPhone 4 on AT&T and his lasts a couple days.

If you get an Android, go high end. They are about to come out with dual core phones so I'd personally wait for one of them. Forget 4G, the modems aren't power efficient enough to be used. Sprint recommends turning the modem off when not using it and turning it on when you want. And the whole bit about CDMA, I talk on mine for a couple hours a night (plugged in of course) and never feel like I need to get on data use. I personally feel this is an over rated complaint. When I had GSM, I never used both at same time but maybe that's just me. Turn WiFi on if you want that ;-)

Ok, well this is long enough for now. If you want more of my opinion on Android, I can give you more.

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 8:39 AM
The "garbage" remark is about the stuff you get in the google app store vs. the apple one, not the software built into the handset.

Sounds like iPhone is the way to go.

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 8:41 AM
Also, the thing about 4G for me would be to be able to take my laptop anywhere and use the phone as a wifi hotspot for it over the 4G. It'd work great for iPad, too.

mitchellsimoens
31 Jan 2011, 8:41 AM
Sounds like iPhone is the way to go.

Being an Android fan, if Sprint would get the iPhone, it would be hard for me not to switch.

Either way, you will love Android or iOS over your Storm :-)

mitchellsimoens
31 Jan 2011, 8:43 AM
Also, the thing about 4G for me would be to be able to take my laptop anywhere and use the phone as a wifi hotspot for it over the 4G. It'd work great for iPad, too.

If you get Android, don't pay for the hotspot addon. You can root and then install a free app to turn your phone into a hotspot for free. Google doesn't look down on rooting where Apple will brick your phone if you do with theirs.

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 8:51 AM
Sounds like you're recommending iPhone, though.

mitchellsimoens
31 Jan 2011, 9:08 AM
There is something to say about engineering one device a year versus tons. Apple can take a year to make a new iPhone where HTC/Motorola/LG/etc makeover 20 each a year. You sign a 2 year agreement so one device a year is fine IMHO. I would probably pay full retail every other year to get a new fantastic phone... I'm a phone nerd :)

The battery thing really pisses me off so iPhone gets point there.
I do love having widgets on my home screen so Android gets point there.
iOS App store does seem to have better quality of apps currently. iPhone point.
However with Android growing in numbers as fast as it is, more will make Android. No point awarded for what could be.
OS vs OS... right now iOS seems to be a more polished OS. Android is more of a "geeky" OS. If you have seen pics of Android 3.0 "Honeycomb" for tablets, I hope some of that UI get's mixed into the phone builds of Android. Point for iPhone.

With all this said, right now iPhone is a better phone. Sure, specs are better for Android phones but that doesn't make it a better phone. iPhone 5 will be out in June (ish) time and I would imagine dual core, and who knows what else (and even NFC) and on both carriers in US. With Verizon you get a 30 day return policy so pick one, try it for 2 weeks. If you just don't like it, trade it in. I believe you can trade twice but don't quote me on that.

mschwartz
31 Jan 2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the info!

It seems like people might chime in and talk about their Android phone models and talk about the pluses and minuses that they see. I imagine a smaller screen with slide out keyboard may have some ramifications vs. a handset with a great touch screen.

Also the new Windows phones look like a great interface, but no Sencha support yet.