PDA

View Full Version : What can Ext Gwt not do ?

mesken
11 Mar 2011, 10:58 AM
Few months ago, we decided to use GXT because of the the scope and highly complex interface our application needs, and we set for it. But recently I read that one of the shortcomings of GXT is that since it is compiled in JavaScript, there are some POJOs that might not be compiled because they are not found or taken into consideration in JavaScript.
For instance Threads, Calendar Interface, some date formats, primitive long and some more.
This really scares me and my question is to know what is not GXT qualified to do and what is the trade-off ? So that we can know what to do and take a final decision.

daddieke
12 Mar 2011, 1:35 AM
I think your question has more to do with the limitations of GWT itself.
Following link might be useful :
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/RefJreEmulation.html

mesken
12 Mar 2011, 4:29 AM
OK, yes that's true, it has more to do with GWT itself. So what do you advice ? Do you believe these tools can perform everything when combined ? Can these limitations be circumvented, though not as easy as having the other missing object ? All I want to know is if they can be circumvented in one way or the other..

daddieke
13 Mar 2011, 1:04 AM
That's a hard one. I suppose it will depend on how hard you need the unavailable features.

I have a medium size application (client GWT - GXT, server PHP - MySQL, data in JSON format). In my experience the hardest part is the GUI behavior, resizing child panels when windows are resized or collapsed etc and not the missing JRE features. The only feature I really missed to implement the business logic was reflection. There seems to exist a third party library that offers reflection in GWT but I decided to stick with the main tools and adopted another solution.

Anyway, if you consider GWT I suppose you already made the choice for a web application. And as you must know, any web application has considerable client limitations. Having no experience of JSF and being limited to a simple web hosting without java (I work as a volunteer) I have chosen GWT. If you have an own infrastructure, you could compare GWT to JSF and perhaps other frameworks. But if your interface is highly complex as you mention, a pure java client might still be the best option.