PDA

View Full Version : GXT Combobox or GWT SuggestBox?

hraing
21 Mar 2011, 2:00 AM
Ok, At my work i´m supposed to create a search in a combo/suggestbox.

I want my search to start when the third letter is entered. en I want to make a servlet call with those letter so I don´t have to get my entire database which is pretty big,

I´ve been wondering how people solve problems like that and if you which you recoment combobox or suggestbox?

best regards

Hrafn

hraing
21 Mar 2011, 3:12 AM
forgot

I´m talking about Gxt ComboBox and Gwt SuggestBox

micgala
21 Mar 2011, 3:33 AM
Try taking a look at this sample:
http://www.sencha.com/examples/explorer.html#advancedcombobox

It does probably something similar to what you need.

Regards,
Michel.

hraing
21 Mar 2011, 3:44 AM
I´m going to try that sample.. thanks

daddieke
21 Mar 2011, 1:16 PM
I have a similar case implemented with SuggestBox. I have mine implemented with a Timer to detect when the user stops typing but I think you could just as well count the characters typed.

There's some work, mainly the implementation of your own SuggestOracle and related classes.

I admit I never even considered using a ComboBox for that kind of case. The link Michel suggested might be an easier way, I only had a brief look and didn't want to spend the time trying it all out. But if not, I can share my SuggestBox related code as an example.

bogusky
22 Mar 2011, 12:48 AM
.... I can share my SuggestBox related code as an example.
=D>=D>

hraing
22 Mar 2011, 7:33 AM
I´d be greatfull if you posted your example, it might help me if I choose to use the SuggestBox

daddieke
22 Mar 2011, 9:46 AM
OK, in attach. Classes are used with SuggestBox as below. As you don't have the rest of the application, you might have some questions. I'll provide an e-mail address by private msg.

SuggestBox searchBox = new SuggestBox(new SearchSuggestOracle(..., ...));
searchBox.setLimit(...);
searchBox.addSelectionHandler(new SearchEventHandler(this));
searchBox.setTitle(...);