PDA

View Full Version : Rip-off of Jack's stylesheet and graphics...

Animal
20 Dec 2006, 8:51 AM
http://www.chabotc.nl:2001/chat.html

moraes
20 Dec 2006, 9:00 AM
Well, interesting, but I don't see a problem. Isn't all of YUI-ext opened to anybody make any use? When I launch my app will you say that my nice-looking dialogs are a rip-off? Maybe yes because they are! I love these styles. Hehe. :-D

Animal
20 Dec 2006, 9:11 AM
Well, not a problem, I suppose immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Actually it does say "The colors and some graphics were borrowed from yui-ext, a unique look is in development, and i hope to have an alternative theme available at release."

sjivan
20 Dec 2006, 9:18 AM
I guess you feel its a rip-off because he's using the graphics without using YUI-ext in his applicaiton (although I'm not sure why he didnt just use yui-ext instead). It feels wrong but the licence of YUI-ext allows it. Although I really like the YUI-ext BSD licence, if Jack cared about preventing such "borrowing", he could maybe have a separate licence for the graphics. In the end, I think that this app has given more press to YUI-ext, which is a good thing.

Sanjiv

moraes
20 Dec 2006, 9:24 AM
Although I really like the YUI-ext BSD licence, if Jack cared about preventing such "borrowing", he could maybe have a separate licence for the graphics.
I would not worry. Let people use it with Prototype, Dojo or whatever. Improvements may appear on other incarnations and users can borrow them back. This is a good thing, besides that it gives visibility to YUI-ext wherever it is used. No jealousness at all; let it be free and everybody will help it to be better.

sjivan
20 Dec 2006, 9:34 AM
I agree. In the web world, there's a lot of borrowing that takes place when it comes to CSS and graphics.

For example I really liked the warning icon in http://www.yui-ext.com/deploy/yui-ext/examples/layout/feed-viewer.html when you try to add an invalid feed and I wondered it was obtained from :)

jack.slocum
20 Dec 2006, 2:23 PM
The graphics aren't a big deal IMO. I don't understand why they went with prototype though. For example, when you have a lot of tabs, they wrap and IMO look terrible. With yui-ext, that has already been addressed with resizeTabs. Their layout also uses a dyamic spliter rather than a proxied splitter. It may look alright with the blank page, but when it's full the operation will a) be slow, b) look terrible because text and stuff will be moving all over the place while resizing. I could go on, but I imagine you guys get the point. :)

chabotc
21 Dec 2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm the guy that used yui-ext's looks in his chat prototype application.

As mentioned before, the licence fully allows for this, and i think that maybe some of the components in yui-ext are themselves taken from some other open source iconset or package.. Thats nothing bad, and this chat app will be released as open-source too, so in the end, everyone wins, no one looses, right?

Its quite common in the open source world to borrow eachothers graphics, just go to gnome-looks and check out the icon sets and other graphical elements that are widely exchanged, in essence this is what makes open-source a good working form of sharing!

Ofcource i have credited the source of the graphics, as a poster already mentioned, credit where credit is due, and i have mentioned on ajaxian "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right?" so there was no intend or action to hide the relation with yui-ext from the layout perspective.

jacksloc, to answer your question, i am making this chat application as a spare time project, just to have a bit of a challange, both in server design and coding (irc client, http server, comet connections, etc) but also on the client side with javascript .. It might not be the -most- practical way of doing things, but it is the most fun way for me :-) Would i advice everyone to take the route i am taking? No if you have a product to make, better to use a good component collection like yui-ext (i'm impressed by it, else it wouldn't have inspired me :-)), but to learn how to make such UI components, its better to make them as a mental excersise

Besides, i hope to released some of those UI building blocks once i think there at-least semi usable (as jack points out they have some way to go still), prototype / scrip.aculo.us could use some more nice libs, so i'd be happy to be able to contribute

Hope this clears up some questions, and if anyone feels the need to rant and rave, feel free to mail me directly too at chabotc@xs4all.nl

Regards,

Chris Chabot aka chabotc