PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Ext-GWT 2.2.3 without Eclipse

j.r.sherwood
17 Apr 2011, 10:20 AM
Hello,

I'm a long time ExtJS user that started writing a Java project and decided to go for it with ExtGWT since it's always looked incredibly cool but kind of scary. For various reasons, I do not want to be bound to Eclipse to do everything (if nothing else, I want to know how to do things without "magic" from the eclipse plugin), and was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to start and build ExtGWT projects without Eclipse.

My apologies if this has been asked before - searching the forums didn't seem to turn up anything, but it's hard to search for WITHOUT eclipse and not get a million hits for eclipse.

daddieke
18 Apr 2011, 12:04 AM
I didn't reply immediately because I hoped someone would give you a better answer. I can only share my own experience. I have always worked with Netbeans IDE. When I started my first GWT - project I tried out the gwt4nb plugin and wasn't satisfied (perhaps it's better now but I never tried again) so like you I decided to do it by myself.

I just created an empty project with the gwt command line tool, opened it in my IDE as a java project, modified the structure as needed and then wrote the build scripts to compile and deploy the application. The latter was the hardest part but there is some documentation on the net. If you're not familiar with the build tool Ant, I'd suggest you have a look at it first.

If this doesn't really help, I hope it encourages you at least to try ...