PDA

View Full Version : [OPEN] [INFOREQ] 1.1 Scroll still no good

realjax
30 Apr 2011, 11:17 AM
List views (scrolling) on Android is still iffy at best.
Created an app (apk) with a very basic list and tested this on several HTC devices:
( all devices ran Android 2.2, the Desires both at 1 Ghz and the wildfire at 528 Mhz

results:

HTC Desire HD: Scrolling/flicking works but is not smooth.

HTC Desire: App hangs/locks after first flick. Rotating the screen unlocks it, next flick locks again.

HTC Wildfire: totally unusable on this device, scrolling *sometimes* works for a few lines if done very carefully. DockedItems at the the top of the list are scrolled off screen usually.

I understand we are at the mercy of the different vendors regarding the implementation of webkit and it's javascript engine (JVS or V8) on each phone.

To be honest I can't see list views working smooth on all android devices in the near future (maybe when each phone is running at least Android 3.0 things will get better)
so maybe it is a good idea to implement an alternative list view ( page driven?) for slower devices?

realjax
2 May 2011, 11:43 PM
updated.

carr
11 May 2011, 2:21 PM
Actually, Android 2.2 devices support the CSS position:fixed property (iOS still doesn't, even in the latest revision I think).

Since this is the only Android version you should be targeting, maybe it can be used to dock elements, and alongside regular page scrolling to make everything work better on the Androids...

realjax
15 May 2011, 11:35 PM
Update:

On my Desire HD running android 2.3x, scrolling performance has not improved.
As a matter of fact, the list now suffers from 'ghosting'. /:)
Where there is no specific backgoundcolor set, a static version of the list shows through the background, in other words there seem to be 2 lists.