PDA

View Full Version : Learning Ext for complete newbie

blawson7
23 May 2011, 12:22 PM
I am not new to HTML, PHP, nor Javascript and AJAX, but I am brand new to Ext. Since no books exist for Ext 4, I did some research and bought "Ext in Action." Although it is helpful, the very first helloWorld example did not work completely because of the differences in the newest version.

I don't want to spend time learning Ext3 when Ext4 is available.

Is there a forum, thread, sticky, or something that a newbie to Ext can use to learn? From what I've gleaned, most threads seem to jump in as if the reader has intimate knowledge of Ext.

Sorry for the wordiness and thanks for the help. Ext looks to be awesome!

VinylFox
23 May 2011, 1:51 PM
Don't let the differences between 3 & 4 throw you too much, the Ext JS in Action book is still very relevant to read, even though some of the API has changed.

For me, the examples folder in the Ext JS SDK download is an excellent reference. Not much in the way of Blog/Tutorials on Ext JS 4 yet.

ykey
23 May 2011, 2:20 PM
Read the new guides in the API docs. Read the /ext-4.0.1/overview/index.html guide from the ExtJS 4 SDK. Experiment with the examples. Read the API docs. Dive into the source code. I agree ExtJS in Action should still be relevant although some things have changed.

blawson7
24 May 2011, 4:51 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will continue with Ext in Action. I have looked at the overview. I guess I just need to have more patience and keep playing.

kreditai
28 May 2011, 8:54 AM
thanks for the advice guys!