PDA

View Full Version : Big SVN check-in. 0.40 is underway!

jack.slocum
26 Dec 2006, 4:42 AM
One look in SVN and you will see a lot of new goodies! Some of them are raw (auto-growing InlineEditor), some of them work well but need more testing (QuickTips) and some are well tested and seem to work great (TreePanel!). There's also new features in the Drag Drop package I posted about before. A new class "YAHOO.ext.Layer" that extends Element and provides auto shadows, iframe shiming when needed, viewport constraints for absolute positioned elements. One thing they all have in common is they are undocumented for the most part. :( Documentation will come as the code stabilizes, and in the meantime I will be making some blog posts and getting feedback when I put together some demos.

Animal
27 Dec 2006, 12:00 AM
Woohoo! I'm almost looking forwards to going back to work to put this stuff into action!

moraes
27 Dec 2006, 10:50 AM
I have just read this now. *Excited*. Going to check it out.

Choleriker
27 Dec 2006, 5:16 PM
Hey,

where to find your SVN? Im interested in getting uptodate!

Choleriker
27 Dec 2006, 5:18 PM
For all who wanted to know too:

http://yui-ext.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

jack.slocum
28 Dec 2006, 2:58 AM
Check out the dialogs on my blog! New glass theme.

moraes
28 Dec 2006, 3:14 AM
Oooh! It's super sweet. The Vista theme also looks great.

jack.slocum
28 Dec 2006, 4:07 AM
Thanks. I totally redid the image and theme organization (and the way they are defined). I think this will make it much easier to create new themes.

The aero/glass theme is my new favorite. I think it looks so slick!

moraes
28 Dec 2006, 5:10 AM
I totally redid the image and theme organization (and the way they are defined). I think this will make it much easier to create new themes.
I've noticed it. Better images separation and splitted CSS with no more specific class names for each theme. It is indeed much more 'modular' now. To be honest I never understood very well the class name requirement for each theme (versus loading a stylesheet that overrides the default theme rules, which is more simple and much easier to work with). Nice changes.

The aero/glass theme is my new favorite. I think it looks so slick!
He. The transparency is such a nice effect and overall look is really slick. But I prefer things a bit more plain. I love the gray theme and the vista theme too. I think even *nix users will love it. They will be jealous, though. :-)

MrKurt
28 Dec 2006, 12:28 PM
Any chance of getting actual builds in SVN as well? I'd like to add your stuff to my projects using an svn:externals thing, so I don't have to manually update. :)

tryanDLS
28 Dec 2006, 12:42 PM
In my view it's generally bad practice to put build output in a source control system, SVN or otherwise. It's just increases the size of the DB for little value. A better solution might be to have a 'nightly build' type of folder where people can pull files from - altho that may open up some support headaches related to what version of the code is in SVN vs what a user has in a nightly build.

If you d/l JSBuilder, you can rebuild your own pkg in about a minute.

MrKurt
28 Dec 2006, 1:38 PM
Is disk space for a subversion repository expensive these days? :P

The utility of svn:externals makes it seem worthwhile to me, especially for something like a js toolkit. It's always going to be included in a larger application, and I'm positive I'm not the only person who ends up putting prebuilt javascript stuff in my own repositories.

brian.moeskau
28 Dec 2006, 1:47 PM
I think the "nightly build" concept would be good and would provide a lot of value for those not interested in building their own. Also, since JSB is currently Win-only, non-Windows folks are somewhat left out in the cold in terms of having a usable build between releases without a lot of manual work.

tryanDLS
28 Dec 2006, 2:38 PM
Is disk space for a subversion repository expensive these days? :P

It's not the cost per GB that's the issue. The common failing of repository software has generally been in managing large repositories. The bigger they are, the more likely they have issues with branching, maintenance, locks while backing up, etc. Maybe this isn't an issue with SVN.

MrKurt
28 Dec 2006, 3:05 PM
SVN's smart about how it stores things. I'd bet large chunks of cash that storing builds in the repository wouldn't ever cause any problems for yui-ext.

allaboutyui
28 Dec 2006, 4:16 PM
Is the validation still planned Jack ? I see that as one of the key features for yui-ext !

Also, whats with the new click here if you're a human? I guess it would stop autoit, but not other automated systems.

tryanDLS
28 Dec 2006, 5:36 PM
Also, whats with the new click here if you're a human? I guess it would stop autoit, but not other automated systems.

Well considering the spam level has dropped 0 since implementation, I say it's working pretty well :)

moraes
29 Dec 2006, 1:45 AM
I think the "nightly build" concept would be good and would provide a lot of value for those not interested in building their own. Also, since JSB is currently Win-only, non-Windows folks are somewhat left out in the cold in terms of having a usable build between releases without a lot of manual work.
If there was a command line tool to do the same job as JSB... written in a popular scripting language like python or php... then anyone could, for example, add a hook to SVN to run the builder on commit, or use any package builders to run it, or just run it on command line. Anyone interested in the project? Is the JS Builder source code available?

update: I found it. :-) http://code.google.com/p/js-builder/

brian.moeskau
29 Dec 2006, 1:53 AM
If there was a command line tool to do the same job as JSB... written in a popular scripting language like python or php... then anyone could, for example, add a hook to SVN to run the builder on commit, or use any package builders to run it, or just run it on command line. Anyone interested in the project? Is the JS Builder source code available?

Just to clarify, there is already a command-line version of JSB available as of version 1.1. Not sure by your post if you were aware of that. Granted, that's still no help to non-Windows people, but if you can build on Windows you should be able to hook into JSB with your build integration tool of choice. More info here:

http://www.jackslocum.com/blog/2006/12/03/js-builder-11-release-whats-new/

Yes, the JSB source code is available and is in it's own SVN repository:

http://code.google.com/p/js-builder/

moraes
29 Dec 2006, 2:12 AM
Just to clarify, there is already a command-line version of JSB available as of version 1.1. Not sure by your post if you were aware of that.
I wasn't aware of that. I've checked out the repository, and now I see the JSBuildConsole directory there.

Granted, that's still no help to non-Windows people, but if you can build on Windows you should be able to hook into JSB with your build integration tool of choice.
I use Windows for development, but would be happy if I could build javascript files using the same tool on a Linux machine (then I could hook it to SVN or to my package builder and have automatic builds on development and production servers).

I see that JS Builder uses JSMin to minify. Great, because I have some experience with a PHP version of it. It seems that parsing the project XML in PHP and running the minifier would be enough to make a simple cross-platform command line tool, and this should not be difficult. Those that can't run JS Builder would have to edit the XML by hand, though.

brian.moeskau
29 Dec 2006, 2:22 AM
Just to clarify, there is already a command-line version of JSB available as of version 1.1. Not sure by your post if you were aware of that.
I wasn't aware of that. I've checked out the repository, and now I see the JSBuildConsole directory there.

Granted, that's still no help to non-Windows people, but if you can build on Windows you should be able to hook into JSB with your build integration tool of choice.
I use Windows for development, but would be happy if I could build javascript files using the same tool on a Linux machine (then I could hook it to SVN or to my package builder and have automatic builds on development and production servers).

I see that JS Builder uses JSMin to minify. Great, because I have some experience with a PHP version of it. It seems that parsing the project XML in PHP and running the minifier would be enough to make a simple cross-platform command line tool, and this should not be difficult. Those that can't run JS Builder would have to edit the XML by hand, though.

Yeah, Jack and I have been mulling over different options for making a cross-platform version of the GUI, but we just haven't decided yet if it will be worth the effort and what the strategy should be. We have some ideas for taking it to another level altogether, but as with everything, it would take time and effort, both of which are already in short supply :)

If you're interested in pursuing this discussion further and talking in more detail about future plans, I'd suggest copying this post into a new post under the JSB forum and following up there so that it's categorized appropriately for future reference.

MrKurt
29 Dec 2006, 1:49 PM
Well, I went ahead and put together my own repository with the current build in it.

http://vps.mrkurt.com/yui-ext/svn/

This should be automatically updated within a few minutes of a commit to the main yui-ext repository. It includes the generated javascripts, as well as supporting files.

MrKurt
29 Dec 2006, 2:08 PM
And there's an updated zip file too: http://vps.mrkurt.com/yui-ext/svn/yui-ext.zip

moraes
29 Dec 2006, 9:08 PM
If you're interested in pursuing this discussion further and talking in more detail about future plans, I'd suggest copying this post into a new post under the JSB forum and following up there so that it's categorized appropriately for future reference.

I've forged a simple PHP script that reads a JS Builder XML file and builds debug and minimized files:

http://www.yui-ext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1830

It's more a proof of concept than anything, though, but the built files are almost exactly the same as the ones built with JS Builder, and works perfectly too, which means that it is not difficult to make a cross platform builder with your language of choice. This made me thought that JS Builder could run in a browser like the RSS Feeds example app. :-)

allaboutyui
1 Jan 2007, 3:16 PM

Well considering the spam level has dropped 0 since implementation, I say it's working pretty well :)

Thinking about how it works in more detail, I agree :)

What about the validation? Its a relatively small job to add that functionality I think.

seldon
3 Jan 2007, 1:44 AM
And there's an updated zip file too: http://vps.mrkurt.com/yui-ext/svn/yui-ext.zip

This file only contains 4 js files? Are those all files that have been updated and is the rest still the same? Or is this zip incomplete?

Condor70
3 Jan 2007, 2:48 AM
I wanted to check out the new themes, so I opened the Hello World example in http://www.yui-ext.com/playpen/yui-ext.0.40/docs/ and noticed that the Hello World example now contains a theme combobox instead of a button. The only problem is that it doesn't have an event listener, so it won't work !

ps. The Layout Dialog example also needs the same change.

jack.slocum
3 Jan 2007, 6:14 AM
They haven't been updated yet. The theme button will go away unfortunately since swapping the theme at runtime isn't support for the dialogs (they change padding values that mess up the size calcs).

iggy
3 Jan 2007, 10:25 AM
Hi,
I'd like very much to see validation ( if I mmay ask, complex and cross validations, configurable out of the form in xml, for example) and form concerns int 0.40. THere isn't any really good library about it out there
CAn you give us info Jack?
Great work and many thanks

MrKurt
3 Jan 2007, 5:22 PM

This file only contains 4 js files? Are those all files that have been updated and is the rest still the same? Or is this zip incomplete?The 4 js files in the jscripts directory are the build results. Are you seeing the other directories with images and such too?

seldon
4 Jan 2007, 2:19 AM
Ah i didnt realise those were the build results and included everything. I am seeing the images too! So can i just grab this zip every now and then? (is it updated every day or every week or ?).

Thnx already!

Seldon

MrKurt
4 Jan 2007, 7:55 AM
It's updated within a few minutes of Jack (or someone else I suppose) committing changes to source control.

thejoker101
11 Jan 2007, 1:28 PM
Jack,
Are you in the middle of changing some buttons over to sprites? I checked out revision 120 and the buttons don't show up on borderlayout and I saw that it pointed to layout-sprite.gif which wasn't included in the jsb file. I included that, but when a panel is expanded, the collapse button is very wide (same with the close button).

brian.moeskau
11 Jan 2007, 1:32 PM
JeffHowden was been spriting the images and updating css files. If he doesn't chime in here, you may want to send him a PM.

JeffHowden
11 Jan 2007, 4:53 PM
I wasn't aware I also needed to update the JSB file. I'm currently on vacation in Hawaii so probably won't get a chance to touch that until after I return on the 16th.