PDA

View Full Version : Grid with vertical AND horizontal headers?

Kikinou
28 Dec 2006, 9:53 AM
Hi, I'm considering using this impressive UI widget set for my project but I have a requirement that I can't seem to find anywhere. Here goes:

I need a scroll list (what is called a "grid" here) to have the normal rows & columns, that can scroll vertically when there are more items than can fit on the screen. Also, if the screen is too narrow to fit all of the columns, I want it to scroll left and right.

Now here's the trick: I also need it so that the left-most field does not move when you scroll the columns left and right!

Nice to have: when you scroll the columns left and right, I want them to scroll by full column widths, not pixel by pixel, if that is clear. In fact, if there were a little mini representation of which columns the user is looking at on the bottom or something, that'd be great.

Any help? :)

Thanks!

JeffHowden
28 Dec 2006, 10:14 AM
You could extend the current grid object to get the functionality you want. Or, you could make a donation towards having that functionality added to the grid object.

Kikinou
28 Dec 2006, 10:50 AM
Gladly, but I need this fairly soon :)

Kikinou
28 Dec 2006, 11:18 AM
Hrm, I just found this, which has a stationary row count column all the way left that doesn't scroll along with the columns:

http://www.activewidgets.com/

It's right there on the home page

Does the grid here have such a thing? If so, I could put my fixed column in there...

If I use this I will make a nice donation!

sjivan
28 Dec 2006, 12:04 PM
I believe you're looking for something like this :

<edited>

Its not YUI-ext, plain ol JSP / tag (build inhouse) but its really powerful. From a widget perspective it supports :

- locked column headers
- horizontal and vertical scrolling
- (multiple) locked columns
- synchronized scrolling of locked column when vertically scrolling
- (multi column - three state) sorting, paging, and cool column filtering style

To support this widget, I have a generic and powerful sort / page / filter API that works on any Hibernate managed Java bean (POJO).

It will be nice if the YUI-ext grid support locked columns, although I dont have a burning need for it presently.

Sanjiv

Kikinou
28 Dec 2006, 1:03 PM
I believe you're looking for something like this :
(snip!)
Sanjiv

YES! That is exactly what I need, with the column filters and multi-level sort columns, it's beautiful. Unfortunately I'm not a java person nor do I use hibernate. My database is all ready to go (mysql), I just need a UI to plug it into. At this point, I'm just thinking of writing my own scroll list widget, like the one you have above, but with a few nit-picky tweaks that exist in my mind :) My language of choice is PHP on the server side.

Thanks for showing this, it's really great!

Kikinou
28 Dec 2006, 2:28 PM
This is exactly what I want, but unfortunately it only works in IE....

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.html

I'm not savvy enough to know why it doesn't work in Firefox, some non-standard thing in IE I presume?

sjivan
28 Dec 2006, 2:33 PM
My database is all ready to go (mysql), I just need a UI to plug it into. At this point, I'm just thinking of writing my own scroll list widget, like the one you have above, but with a few nit-picky tweaks that exist in my mind

Building something like this is not a small detour if you want to build a robust widget. A locked column with vertical scrolling is pretty complex and you have to handle all sorts of things like synchronized scrolling, aligning heights of rows in locked column and the other areas, IE table display issues etc.. I would definitely encourage you to work with Jack to get this done right.. Its probably gonna be less expensive than building it yourself.

The example http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bmerkey/examples/locked-column-csv.html doesnt handle fixed headers so on scrolling down, the headers move out of the visible view. Not sure if thats important to you.

Kikinou
28 Dec 2006, 4:52 PM
Thanks, I'll post something in the "Feature Requests" area of this forum. Thanks for your insight!