PDA

View Full Version : What are the implications of using the jQuery adapter

DavidSSL
20 Aug 2011, 6:27 AM
Hi,

From my understanding, it is possible to use the jQuery framework in lieu of the ext-base classes. My questions regard the implications of doing that. So

What are the general repercussions of doing this?
How is performance affected?
Is this likely to be supported as and when Ext.Js and jQuery grow since it is my understanding that there is in effect a mapping of jQuery methods to Ext.J?
Would you recommend doing this :)?

TIA,

David

skirtle
21 Aug 2011, 10:31 PM
ExtJS 4 no longer has adapters but support has been improved for working alongside other frameworks. All extensions to the core prototypes (such as Array and String) have been removed so as to avoid collisions with other JavaScript libraries.

Personally I've never felt the need to run another library at the same time as ExtJS. Unless you have a specific reason to do it I wouldn't bother.

I can't comment on the performance impact though it goes without saying there will be the overhead of downloading the extra library.

DavidSSL
21 Aug 2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Skirtle,

Thank you for your answer and pointing out the fact that Ext.Js 4 no longer supports adapters. I suppose that settles it.

The reason for jQuery is the fact that within the team we are most comfortable with using it for DOM manipulation.

David

stevil
22 Aug 2011, 8:40 AM
@DavidSSL,

there's no reason you can't *also* use jQuery, and use it to select/manipulate DOM - you just can't use it to manipulate the Ext-ish-ness(-ness) of components.

stevil

DavidSSL
22 Aug 2011, 10:26 PM
Thank you stevil. I think I'll stick to the Ext way of doing things to get the full goodness as you say.