PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Portal module

BHenry
31 Aug 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I sent the following message via the contact form, but got an off-topic reply. I'd be glad if someone could enlighten me.

Best regards,
Benoît Henry

-------------------------------

Dear Sirs,

I am writing as a programmer for my company Vitarea as I'm responsible for studying the development of a portal module.
While browsing the available JavaScript libraries on the market, my attention got caught by your product ExtJs which offers a portal in the samples delivered with the archive.

Before making this choice, I need to know if this module will be fully integrated in ExtJs and maintained by Sencha in the future.

Looking forward to an early reply,
Best regards,

Benoît Henry

Christiand
1 Sep 2011, 3:26 AM
It's an example, not a module. It was there in Ext 3 and was fully updated with Ext4 code. I guess the example will always live to showcase the product, but don't expect them to add function .

We choose this portal example to build our app prototype (back with Ext 3.1). It required many changes to suit our need. I've almost completed my code migration from 3 to 4 and the new update example helped me fix/update my modified portal code.

BHenry
1 Sep 2011, 3:49 AM
Thanks for your answer Christian,

If I'm correctly understanding it, you mean that nothing indicates that this portal example will be maintained by Sencha when ExtJs goes version 5 or more ?

Regards

Christiand
1 Sep 2011, 3:58 AM
It's possible, however it's a good example and I don't see why they wouldn't want to update it. It sold the framework to me and it's about to selling it to your company.

If it is a concern to you, the portal code is very basic once you have gotten your hands dirty with the framework. And if Sencha stop updating the code, you wouldn't have trouble updating it or getting help (forums) to update it since many people use it in their own project.

mitchellsimoens
1 Sep 2011, 4:54 AM
Portal example is way too popular to trash. I don't see it going away any time soon.