PDA

View Full Version : Please don't throttle the customers

jep
5 Sep 2011, 3:05 PM
It's really quite frustrating to be a paying customer and still be subjected to the "no searches more often than 20 seconds" rule. I can't see any point in applying this rule to premium accounts. And it's a needless impediment to finding an answer to your question when you have to try several different ways of phrasing it.

Thanks.

abe.elias
5 Sep 2011, 8:00 PM
Let me look if there's a setting for this. We're not intentionally doing this.

jep
5 Sep 2011, 9:03 PM
I know, I didn't think it was intentional. :) I just figured it was the default setting and no one had really thought about it before. I did try to bring it up in another thread, but I think it was missed. Thanks for looking!

abe.elias
5 Sep 2011, 9:40 PM
Looks like you're not the only one requesting this type of capability.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/313693-20-seconds-between-searches-is-a-long-time?

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem that there's a workaround just yet.

mitchellsimoens
6 Sep 2011, 5:45 AM
We can lower (or raise >:) ) the number of seconds but this will affect all users. This would have to be in form of a mod to check against the group of the user searching.

Are you getting limited for the vBulletin internal search or the Google search?

jep
6 Sep 2011, 6:28 AM
Internal searches.

jep
6 Sep 2011, 7:20 AM
And FYI, you could make your forums play a LOT better with google search if you included the forum name in the page's <title>. For example, I could search the Community Discussion forum by doing a google search for

multiselect intitle:"Sencha Touch: Discussion" site:www.sencha.com/forum/showthread

As it stands now, you're basically limited to:

multiselect "Sencha Touch: Discussion" site:www.sencha.com/forum/showthread

Which winds up pulling in a lot of extraneous stuff.

jay@moduscreate.com
7 Sep 2011, 8:33 AM
Have you considered just using google search?

jep
7 Sep 2011, 11:01 AM
Yes. The problem is that it's not a substitute, as I outlined in the message before yours. You can't easily pin searches down to particular forums, which is pretty key to finding a meaningful answer.

jep
7 Sep 2011, 11:04 AM
Oh, and it also doesn't help google searches much that you have that "Similar Threads" thing at the bottom. It's a really good way of screwing up matches.

The other downside is that sometimes google will return a hit that's when you click on changes your languages to something. This has been reported before, though.

abe.elias
7 Sep 2011, 11:21 AM
Ok, I think I understand the main issue. Our search needs help (I'm being polite). The only reason for searching within 20 secs is that you didn't find what you were looking for to begin with.

I'm going to see if there are any add-ons that make vB search better. Can you give me an example of a search phrase that you are using? That would help us as we look to improve this.

jep
7 Sep 2011, 6:42 PM
No, I wouldn't say that's it at all. It's just standard issue for trying to track down answers.

For example, I might start out with a title-only search for:

create event

I'm looking to see if anyone has suggested an event that happens on object creation. I search titles only first because those are typically FAR better hits.

One result, obviously not what I'm looking for at all.

Okay, click again and search titles for "oncreate".

Sorry, no matches.

Okay, so how about just plain old "create" in titles.

Hmmm, over four pages of results, that's no good.

How about "create event" in entire posts.

Tons of results, again, too broad a thing to search for.

And on and on. That's just how things go when you're searching for answers sometimes. I don't think it's a particular failing of the system, just that sometimes it's hard to find things. The only thing that could possibly make the system better is if I could search for one string in the title and another in the body (like "create" in the title and "event" in the body). But web forums tend not to have that level of search. I could do it with Google using intitle: if that suggestion in #7 was implemented. But most of the time, it's more convenient to search within the forum's own UI. Because it presents the results in a better way than google since it knows how the forums are named, what date the last post of the threads are, etc.

Does that make sense?

jep
8 Sep 2011, 3:58 PM
Another example for you:

Wanted to make this suggestion in the Sencha Touch Feature Request forum.

So I searched titles for "checkboxfield". No results. Okay, how about "checkbox". No results. Search body for "checkboxfield". No results. Search body for "checkbox". Some results, finally, but confirming that it looked like my suggestion was new. Oh wait, should probably search for just "check" in titles. Damn minimum timeout!

Some of this I could have done better, like search for "checkboxfield OR checkbox OR check" the first time. But that didn't occur to me until after the fact, as often times you don't think of all the things you could search for until you try one.

(Also occurred to me later to try "check*".)

jep
9 Sep 2011, 11:32 AM
Another example:

Wanted to find an old thread so I clicked on my username and "Find latest posts". Oops, I meant "Find latest started posts". That's a painful 20 seconds...