PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to create a grid where the store entries are shown on multiple rows?

lisper
5 Sep 2011, 3:11 PM
SLSIA. I have a data model with a lot of fields and displaying them all on one row makes the display too wide. Is it possible to create a grid where each entry is displayed on multiple rows? Or do I need to roll my own container to do that?

skirtle
5 Sep 2011, 5:02 PM
Won't users be awfully confused by having 2 fields under each column, alternating row by row?

lisper
5 Sep 2011, 5:44 PM
Won't users be awfully confused by having 2 fields under each column, alternating row by row?

No, it's a very common format for displaying financial data. Google for e.g. "Quicken screenshots" for examples.

skirtle
5 Sep 2011, 6:15 PM
I see, it's done for fields that are natural complements to each other like a start date and end date.

Looks to me like the easiest way to do that would be to keep everything on one row but to write a custom renderer that displays entries across multiple lines with each cell. One possible complexity would be sorting but it should be ok.

daddie888
5 Sep 2011, 11:51 PM
The rowbody and rowexpander plugins and features do that, it's used in the feedviewer for example.
You can choose to display the extra rows/fields permanently or on expand.
Problem is they don't react like a normal field, i had a hard time to make it editable.
Nested grids could also be used but they are difficult to implement, a treegrid perhaps ?
I someone has a better solution with example to this that would be wonderfull.
Grtz