PDA

View Full Version : A Sencha Newbie

Polydrod
10 Sep 2011, 1:18 AM
Hello All,

I only discovered Sencha this morning and am in the process of evaluating it so forgive me if my questions below sound incredibly naive. I would hugely appreciate feedback on my understanding of Sencha as it is now

a. Sencha is a framework for building HTML 5 apps for mobiles, not native apps.
b. However, one can use the HTML 5 Geolocation API to bring location based services to users.
c. Given that what is being served up is simply an HTML5 page for the mobile browser the app should, in theory, work on Android and iPad with no further tweaking. Geolocation will be possible with both platforms.
d. Finally, should it ever be necessary I can still wrap the HTML5 app inside a phonegap wrapper to deliver a "native" app.

And two questions

a. I need to be able to show "pinned" Google Maps or CloudMade maps in the "app". Anything that might stop me from doing this?

b. Are there any other constraints that I should be aware of when choosing between the native app vs HTML5 app route.

mitchellsimoens
10 Sep 2011, 5:38 AM
a. I need to be able to show "pinned" Google Maps or CloudMade maps in the "app". Anything that might stop me from doing this?

Nope, actually quite trivial if you have learned their API.

b. Are there any other constraints that I should be aware of when choosing between the native app vs HTML5 app route.

Watch out for performance. Native apps seem to have more memory alotted than the browser. Well, not entirelly true. The browser uses quite a bit of the memory.

Polydrod
10 Sep 2011, 8:09 PM
Thanks. I take it that my understanding of how things work the Sencha way - as outlined at the top of my first post - is correct?