PDA

View Full Version : App Gallery Incorrectly Named

dawesi
14 Oct 2011, 6:14 PM
I can't find any desktop apps in the generically named 'app gallery'. WHY? :-? Laziness,:-?Don't you have an app contest running (desktop and mobile)?? :-/:s

Why is this idea only half-implemented (well I know the answer to that... everything here is half implemented on this site:(, always has been, always will be as long as quantity and wow factor rules over quality; eg leaving tabs out of the docs in 4 originally!! what planet are you guys on! - not planet community! :()

Seriously an app gallery without apps? (apps has always meant desktop, mobile apps means mobile), so the gallery is incorrectly named, or is half-implemented.

Considering 93% of web surfing (as of last month worldwide - android is biggest mobile browsing platform as of last month, but measly in comparrison) is desktop browsing and you're running a desktop app competition?

I'm confused to why Sencha is so mobile centric, when it's community is so ExtJS centric? ExtJS Touch is just an extension of an amazing framework. :D (the one that got you your jobs in the first place) and one that many massive companies use for their apps??

It would have taken a few more minutes to include desktop apps? seriously.

Please explain?! /:) (and appologise)

mitchellsimoens
15 Oct 2011, 6:29 AM
Is App Store misnamed on Apple's part? I do agree that we need to include Ext JS, Ext GWT, and Animator things but I would say it's misnamed. App doesn't have to mean a desktop application or a mobile application because in the end, desktop applications and mobile applications are the same.

Being around for a while, I wouldn't say things are always "half-implemented". Sure things sometimes don't live up to what we'd always expect but some things are built by one person and you have to admit it can be hard to think of everything when you're the only person. I've made things and then get surprised at what people really want because I didn't care about it and didn't think people used it.

Sencha isn't community driven? I would have to disagree. In fact, it will get a lot better as of next Saturday I will become the first full-time forum manager so the forums will have more activity from a Sencha person. But seeing James Pearce always on the road visiting meetups and events and talking to all the devs he does... I'm jealous that he gets the chance... not really jealous of all that travel :)

So with everything said I'm sure you feel that I'm just defending Sencha because I work for them but I would defend them because I'm a honest person. Are things perfect? No, Sencha is still a small start-up that is growing (maybe not fast enough). We are learning lots of lessons, some of which we shouldn't have had to in the first place but it's not always about making mistakes, it's also about how you react.

jamesgpearce
15 Oct 2011, 7:50 AM
We do intend to include apps for both types of medium. Mobile is just where we started, and it's helped by the fact that many more Sencha Touch apps are public & consumer apps.

Many of the best Ext JS apps are intranet, private, behind firewalls etc. But we've started to find and list out the good public ones.

The response to Sencha Touch from our own community has been fantastic. We're focussed on both platforms - but you have to admit that many many developers worldwide are looking at mobile web technology right now. We think we're on the right side of history here, but please appreciate we will work hard to support the desktop world too.

Do you have any good desktop apps you think we should add?

tobiu
15 Oct 2011, 11:41 AM
hi james,

even if some ext js apps are not public, it might be a good promotion for sencha to list them as well, as long as the product owners write a description + add some screens.

best regards
tobias

mitchellsimoens
17 Oct 2011, 9:36 AM
hi james,

even if some ext js apps are not public, it might be a good promotion for sencha to list them as well, as long as the product owners write a description + add some screens.

best regards
tobias

Think that would be up to the developer if they are allowed to but it would be a slippery slope. Wouldn't want to start getting cease and disist orders to remove an app. But this was just a start!

dawesi
22 Oct 2011, 8:05 PM
Is App Store misnamed on Apple's part

Simply 'yes', and don't get me started on how 'ordinary' ios and the app store, and the interface are #ifail. No wonder Android is outselling them (gartner predicting around 50% of 'new' phones by 2012) in the second quarter after launching their OS, the only innovation on the iphone was integrating an appstore, and now everyone has an app store, and like Blackberry apple's heading for obsolete land.

Do you have any good desktop apps you think we should add?

Check out the examples forum on extjs 4 for heaps of examples, right there in front of you... the desktop market is, and will continue to be the biggest market for years to come. You should promote and highlight both products equally.

Mobile is less than 7% of web browsing, and a percentile of a percentile of global application sales and ecommerce. Computers are still outselling mobile devices, and will continue to dominate for years and years to come.

Mobile is a parallel universe to desktop, not a replacement, just a a paper and pen is parallel to the Galaxy Tab, both are still majorly used and will continue to be.

why not just link senchadevs and the app store so that when you put your app on one, you can indicate you want it listed in the directory? :)