PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ie8

bharathnukala
17 Oct 2011, 4:54 PM
Error:- 'Possible problem with your *.gwt.xml file. The compile-time user.Agent value (ie8) differs from the run-time value (ie6). '

I have upgraded my app to GWT 2.4 recently. This is the error i get when i try to set 'user.agent' to 'ie8' inside my {module}.gwt.xml.

Consequently i even tried not setting any compile time user.agent, I could observe that my application is being compiled for 'ie6' during run time( Through the fact that i got an error in LayoutImplIE6.java, instead of LayoutImplIE8.java). When i tried obtaining the user agent directly through a JSNI call, it was appropriately showing me that the browser's user agent to be MSIE 8...something. Can you guys throw some light on this issue? What could possibly be the reason for my ie8 to be identified as ie6?

Colin Alworth
19 Oct 2011, 10:34 AM
Best guess I could come up with, without seeing some code or sample debug output, is that your IE8 browser is reporting itself as IE6 for some reason, perhaps due to a meta tag indicating which user agent to act like, or the browser being put in some kind of compatibility mode.

This is really a GWT problem though - you might have better luck on the GWT google group.

bharathnukala
19 Oct 2011, 4:32 PM
Yeah, you are right, When i checked through the ie developer tools, my 'ie8' it seems to have been defaulted to 'ie7' compatible mode(hmm....:-|) which thereby resulted in GWT identifying the user.agent to be 'ie6'( fair enough). Now it works fine. Btw...cheers on dev. preview 5......been looking fwd to it. I thank you for your prompt response. :)

On another note, Can you please throw any light on GXT's RichTextEditor. The editor that i am typing on currently on your website looks cool enough for me. Are there any plans to enhance your richtexteditor?

Colin Alworth
19 Oct 2011, 4:41 PM
GWT itself considers ie7 and ie6 to be essentially the same browser. We find that to be somewhat limiting, so GXT 2 has had methods to actually detect which browser is actually being used, and GXT 3 offers the ability to make more browser permutations than GWT supports (a yet un-documented feature), including a specific permutation for ie7.

I don't know of any plans to augment the HtmlEditor, the GXT class that wraps and extends the GWT RichTextArea. Are there specific features that are missing? Keep in mind that a number of the features in the post editor are for copy/paste, or just add tags using [ and ] to the existing content, which is then rendered by the server.