PDA

View Full Version : Neptune Theme

skirtle
24 Oct 2011, 4:04 PM
At last year’s SenchaCon we demonstrated an exciting new concept theme called Neptune. While it was only a screenshot on a slide, it caused quite a stir and has been one of the most requested features ever since.

I don't know what appeared on that slide but I think the screenshots in this blog post are what most people think of when you mention the Neptune theme:

http://www.sencha.com/blog/ext-js-4-preview-faster-easier-more-stable/

To quote from that post:

This builds on the great looks and clean design of the current theme, but brings a whole new level of visual polish to your applications.

I would argue that the theme previewed in 4.1-pr1 is not really the Neptune theme people were asking for. That's not to say it isn't welcome, I just don't think it's fair to describe it as the Neptune theme.

codeart.ch
25 Oct 2011, 1:01 AM
I havent the time to look into 4.1 yet.
So i like to know, is the 4.1 Neptune Theme looking like the screenshots in the 4.1 preview blog post ?

That would be a little bit disappointing because the 'old known' Neptune Theme looks more then a bit better in my view.

regards

korax
25 Oct 2011, 6:49 AM
I'm not sure if the Kitchen Sink (http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.1-pr1/examples/kitchensink/index.html#grouped-header%20grid) demo is meant to showcase the Neptune theme (it seems so from the blog post), but if it is, it's certainly a huge disappointment. There don't seem to be any of the visual elements at all from the screenshot shown at the site for almost a year now. I understand the "preview" part of the preview, but this isn't at all what was hinted at. Perhaps it's just too early to comment.

neongrau
26 Oct 2011, 1:12 AM
I do like the simplicity.

Opens up ways of custom styling things with sass.
Or adding some CSS foo (gradients, shadows, rounded corners) and you'll be back to something shiny while keeping a lightweight plain layout that even old internet exploders (IE lte 9) can handle.

skirtle
26 Oct 2011, 1:39 AM
There's a lot to like about the addition of a new theme, even for those who don't particularly like the theme itself. Most projects don't have the resources to develop a totally new theme so the more starting points and examples are provided the better. Having the Sencha team implement some genuinely diverse and tricky themes (as opposed to minor variations on the standard themes) can only help to improve the theming infrastructure for everyone.

My only real objection was to it being referred to as the Neptune theme.

plalx
26 Oct 2011, 12:31 PM
I am not disapointed with the new theme. It's modern and minimalistic and way better than the current theme, but I must agree that the first Neptune preview looked awesome and maybe a bit more professionnal.

Anyway, I'm sure ExtJS will get more developers with that new look.

healthformula
26 Oct 2011, 12:33 PM
I agree with you 100%. Theme that was in Kitchen Sink demo does not even come close to Neptune theme. It is really not fair. For the longest time we have been hearing from developer that theming in Ext4 is so easy. But blog post of 4.1 performance reveals that it is not that easy to create theme in Ext4 after all. One of the biggest gripe we have is regarding the announcement that was made in Sencha 2010 claiming that Ext4 is faster than Ext3. Here is the video if anybody want to refresh the memory

http://vimeo.com/17666102

Really.......is it really faster than Ext3 ? Many forum post suggest that it is not true. I hope Sencha would not follow such shameful marketing tactics again in future.

ykey
26 Oct 2011, 5:39 PM
Personally I prefer the new theme. It feels much more modern. I was never very excited about Neptune until now.

The thing that worries me is the required Ext override file needed to currently use the theme and the pain Sencha appears to be having getting it to work in IE. I would just stop calling this theme Neptune since it is so drastically different from what was shown at least year's SenchaCon.

nicholasnet
27 Oct 2011, 7:10 AM
Kitchen sink theme remind me of this theme some what

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?67367-3.0-New-Theme-Blueen-(Blue-and-Green)-v0.1 (http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?67367-3.0-New-Theme-Blueen-%28Blue-and-Green%29-v0.1)

not Neptune

ykey
27 Oct 2011, 7:43 AM
Kitchen sink theme remind me of this theme some what

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?67367-3.0-New-Theme-Blueen-(Blue-and-Green)-v0.1

not Neptune

Not really that theme is hideous.

korax
27 Oct 2011, 1:53 PM
The Kitchen Sink theme reminds me of Windows XP.

edspencer
29 Oct 2011, 6:16 PM
Seems opinion is pretty divided on this one (which is totally expected). A little more context:

We debated whether or not to call it Neptune any more given it has changed quite a lot, so you're spot on pointing that out. The name Triton was thrown around for a bit but that sucks. As usual some more communication would have helped, though the madness of SenchaCon and extreme sleep deprivation made that difficult.

More broadly, though, I detest being linked to a single theme. Even if Neptune turns out to be the most beloved theme the world has ever seen I want to offer you a number of these things, and far more importantly make it easy to make your own. That's the real goal.

rdougan
31 Oct 2011, 1:16 PM
The thing that worries me is the required Ext override file needed to currently use the theme and the pain Sencha appears to be having getting it to work in IE.

The override file is just a quick hack for the 4.1 Performance Preview. We will have a proper fix for this in the 4.1 GA release.

As for legacy browser support, they were not a goal for us in the 4.1 Performance Preview. I'm not sure where your reference to "pain" comes from...

ykey
31 Oct 2011, 2:44 PM
It is good to hear that the overrides are just temporary. That the overrides were needed at all could be considered "pain".

As for legacy browser support, they were not a goal for us in the 4.1 Performance Preview. I'm not sure where your reference to "pain" comes from...

I may have misspoke when I said IE was causing the pain.

I thought I had heard you say a few times that it was somewhat difficult getting themes to look good when panels and components are nested. I assumed this was due to lack of CSS3 support in older browsers.

Either way I am loving Neptune so far. Its development is only going to make creating custom themes easier.

rdougan
31 Oct 2011, 2:47 PM
I thought I had heard you say a few times that it was somewhat difficult getting themes to look good when panels and components are nested. I assumed this was due to lack of CSS3 support in older browsers.

Either way I am loving Neptune so far. Its development is only going to make creating custom themes easier.

It is definitely 'challenging', but that is our job. :)

I'm glad you are excited about Neptune!

ykey
31 Oct 2011, 3:01 PM
Maybe it is just me but I do feel like something is a bit off with the form validation themeing. I know its early so hopefully this is still a work in progress. However I will not miss the squiggly underlining.

asabaylus
2 Nov 2011, 6:45 PM
Is the current 4.1 preview release actualy indicative of the final Neptune theme?

I have some significant concerns about the design and overall usability of this theme. However, I certainly understand that it's a work in progress. Should we expect substantial changes to Neptune before 4.1 is released?

edspencer
3 Nov 2011, 2:48 PM
@asabaylus "substantial" is open to interpretation, but yes there are a number of changes already planned. We'll keep that as transparent as possible

jaydge
8 Nov 2011, 7:34 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm very impressed with the pace of development Sencha is maintaining. You all are doing a top notch job. And great conference!

Could you help me understand something about the theming in Ext JS 4? In Ext JS 3, the DOM markup was pretty much the same in all browsers (i.e. 9-cell tables for buttons). In Ext JS 4.0.2a however, I noticed that in modern browsers the markup was modern (i.e. divs for buttons) but in IE the older "9-cell table button" markup was generated.

Is it true that in Ext JS 4, the plan is to have the old Ext JS 3-style markup generated in older browsers, and modern markup in modern browsers? Because these two types of markup are vastly different, it will require essentially maintaining two sets of styles to achieve the same theme across all browsers in Ext JS 4. I just want to make sure I understand before I get to work on theming in 4.

Cheers,
JD

edspencer
8 Nov 2011, 11:31 AM
@jaydge yes we use a split DOM technique to only deliver the markup that each browser needs (so for modern browsers it renders far fewer elements than for older ones). We actually have a guide on theming Ext JS 4 (http://docs.sencha.com/ext-js/4-0/#!/guide/theming), which I suggest you check out

jaydge
8 Nov 2011, 12:11 PM
@edspencer Thank you for clarifying this. I've read that theming guide a number of times, but it doesn't go into much depth.

Question:
I'm working on a custom theme that uses a special background image for active tabs. I sliced the background image myself, then to override the default CSS for tabs I added my own CSS for modern browsers, and then overrode that CSS with IE-specific CSS activated by conditional comments. This is pretty much how I've always done theming in Ext JS.

Am I doing it the hard way? Would the slicer tool save me a lot of this effort?

edspencer
8 Nov 2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, the slicer should do that for you

jaydge
8 Nov 2011, 1:17 PM
Awesome, I've just started playing around with the SDK. This is going to freakin' rock!

silcreval
12 Nov 2011, 12:50 AM
Performance on my system of the neptune example is poor.

I'm running an overclocked i7 with a very fast NVIDIA graphics card and 8G
and I'm watching it slowly redraw on FF 7. Icons (in the tree, etc) dont
seem to appear.

If performance of neptune is worse than the current default theme, I would
focus on improving the default.

skirtle
12 Nov 2011, 2:33 AM
Interesting. The Kitchen Sink demo does seem to struggle in FF7. For what it's worth, it works fine in Chrome and performance is really good.

I ran some tests a few days ago comparing the performance of an app with the default theme vs the Neptune theme. It didn't seem to make any difference in the browsers I tried but I'm not sure FF was one of them.

rich02818
12 Nov 2011, 6:32 AM
Loading http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.1-pr1/examples/kitchensink/index.html (http://dev.sencha.com/deploy/ext-4.1-pr1/examples/kitchensink/index.html#basic-panel) into IE8 results in:

'undefined' is null or not an object all-classes.js, line 17844 character 17

Does this run for anyone else on IE8?

silcreval
12 Nov 2011, 2:03 PM
Just checked and yes it does run fast in Chrome. FF7 is really slow though, it looks
like something is not totally right because the icons dont appear in the tree on the
left. It takes seconds to respond to a click on the examples tree.

ykey
12 Nov 2011, 5:22 PM
Just checked and yes it does run fast in Chrome. FF7 is really slow though, it looks
like something is not totally right because the icons dont appear in the tree on the
left. It takes seconds to respond to a click on the examples tree.

Same problem in FF8.

ykey
12 Nov 2011, 5:24 PM
Should we expect any more preview releases or betas before 4.1 is released?

skirtle
12 Nov 2011, 11:05 PM

A beta was mentioned a few days ago here:

http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?154116

edspencer
16 Nov 2011, 12:35 PM

Totally. We're not happy enough with our performance yet though so I don't want to give out any dates. What we might do is a PR2 in a couple of weeks with all the stability improvements that have gone in over the last few weeks, plus some very targeted and hopefully high impact improvements to box and dock layouts (two of the biggest offenders even in 4.1)

terrycursh
21 Nov 2011, 6:46 PM
Always couple weeks~~

Airwalker
22 Nov 2011, 4:08 AM
Guys what are we complaining about! 3,4,5,6 weeks. What does it matter. This is a preview of the improvements to come. As developers we ought to know how long it takes to release a product that meets your requirements. Remember we where advised not to use this for production.

ykey
1 Dec 2011, 3:17 PM
The override file is just a quick hack for the 4.1 Performance Preview. We will have a proper fix for this in the 4.1 GA release.

Maybe I was right after all. http://www.sencha.com/blog/whats-new-in-ext-js-4-1#29948

silcreval
30 Dec 2011, 9:39 AM
Icons still dont appear in Firefox 9 when running the Neptune example.

AppsDev
21 Jun 2012, 4:18 AM
Can we get an update on the ETA for the Neptune Theme?

zlevardy
18 Jan 2013, 4:52 AM
hi,

will this pure simple look and feel theme available on old IE browsers? (corporate policy) anyway it is useless...

thx

ssamayoa
23 Jan 2013, 6:49 AM
hi,

will this pure simple look and feel theme available on old IE browsers? (corporate policy) anyway it is useless...

thx

First, Neptune is due since 4.0 so I will not wait for it in the near future.

Second, AFAIK Neptune works only on newer Webkit (Chrome, Safari, etc.) browsers. I doubt that, when finally released, Neptune will support older non-webkit (Firefox, IE, etc.) browsers.

Regards.

metekural
1 Feb 2013, 8:42 AM
I think it's quite fine that the new Neptune theme does not support really old browsers. But it's only useful as long as we know that it is still being worked on of course. It would be good to know if the Neptune theme project is dead or still a go.

abe.elias
19 Mar 2013, 12:28 AM
It's finally here. http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/examples/

Sorry that it took so long.

zlevardy
19 Mar 2013, 1:18 AM
It's finally here. http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/examples/

Sorry that it took so long.
Thanks. Is this final version is supporting old IE?

abe.elias
24 Mar 2013, 4:38 PM
Yes, this version brings full IE support.

Hope you like it.

zlevardy
25 Mar 2013, 1:10 AM
amaznig, thanks, it is a great news. :)

zlevardy
13 May 2013, 11:55 AM
What IE versions are supported Officially? thx

Phil Guerrant
20 May 2013, 8:43 AM
What IE versions are supported Officially? thx

The neptune theme is officially supported in IE7 and above, both strict and quirks modes. We excluded IE6 because of it's lack of support for PNG alpha-transparency, since neptune uses PNG icons to achieve the nice smooth edges on the panel tools and other icons.

All other aspects of the theme other than PNG alpha-transparency should work in IE6 as well. If you need to support IE6 and would like to use neptune, you could extend the neptune theme and create all your own icons in gif format. The image extension used in the generated CSS can be easily changed using the global $image-extension sass variable.

For more info on extending neptune to create your own theme see the Theming Guide (http://docs.sencha.com/extjs/4.2.0/#!/guide/theming)