PDA

View Full Version : New to Sencha Touch. Should I start learning/coding with 1.1 or jump straight to 2?

tthai
25 Oct 2011, 4:17 PM
Sencha Touch 2 looks fantasic. I'm complete newbie to Sencha Touch products. Looking to build/deploy a basic mobile app in next 2 months. Should I go ahead and invest time into 1.1 or jump straight to 2.0 hoping that there would at least be a beta coming out soon? Will building 1.1 pretty much mean a lot of throwaway knowledge when 2.0 comes out? Any suggestions from?

wilzdezign
26 Oct 2011, 4:18 PM
Go for Touch 2.x -- Get ahead of the curve and take a look at the /example/ code provided with the download

orinacko
27 Oct 2011, 1:55 PM
From my experience, I would recommend sticking with 1.1 for now but keeping yourself exposed to 2. There are quite a few things missing in 2, along with the documentation being VERY early. Especially considering your timeframe.

jep
28 Oct 2011, 2:26 PM
I'd say stick with 1.1.1. I just started a very basic (but intended to be used) app just to get the hang of 2.0. I immediately ran into bugs in List that are complete showstoppers. I just don't think it's anywhere near the level of completeness if you're looking to build something and deploy it in the next two months. That's why it's labeled "preview release", after all. It's usable but still very rough.

stan229
31 Oct 2011, 6:17 AM
I'm considering rewriting one of my ST1.1 prototypes in ST2 now. If Sencha & ModusCreate were able to make a production ready app for SenchaCon then I don't see why not. Hopefully there will be a second beta released soon to us that will fix things for those who are seeing errors.

tthai
1 Nov 2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks guys, I went ahead and started my development path with 1.l.1. The docs and examples are good, only thing that stumped me have been getting the tabbar to work with the proposed 1.1.1 MVC structure. But anyhow, that's another thread. Hopefully 2.0 beta will come out soon!