PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8, Metro UI and Sencha

Whatty
4 Nov 2011, 2:50 AM
I was reading an article lately about the new Metro UI in Windows 8 where essentially all new applications can be delivered in HTML 5 or XAML.

Although I haven't yet had the opportunity to fully digest the ramifications of this - it does raise some interesting questions about what role Sencha could play in delivering desktop applications (what-ever definition you use for that now-a-days) to the Windows platform. The line between a true desktop application and a web application is already becoming very fuzzy (see Chrome book shown at the Sencha conference, Google apps, etc etc)

With the latest developments in HTML 5 (local storage is a good example) the line between a desktop application and a web application is unclear - this only furthers this - especially if you consider what I expect would be a OS abstraction / interface layer similar to what we already see in the Sencha Touch platform.

Raises some interesting opportunities...

Any thoughts...

Whatty

mitchellsimoens
4 Nov 2011, 5:51 AM
I for one am very excited to see Windows 8 flood the market... hope the corporate world adopts fast but that won't happen :)

So yes... looks like web apps will be launchable just like native apps and have more device APIs available. We are well aware of this and this does create a huge opportunity for us to develop things that will work with it. Love it or hate it, Windows is still the largest OS but Windows 8 looks fantastic!

Not just Sencha Touch but Ext JS can be bundled up. It's a good day to be a web dev :D

Ekambos
4 Nov 2011, 6:06 AM
Dont forget Ext-GWT Mitch :)

Whatty
4 Nov 2011, 6:11 AM
Having read further into the capabilities of the pending Win 8 platform - this blurs the line between a desktop interface and a "mobile" like interface - which has implications for the distinction between the ExtJS and Touch platforms.

I would love to be able to develop against a single library and target the output based on the device - whether that would be a "standard" mobile, a Win 8 UI, or traditional web app. That would require some pretty heavy lifting on behalf of the Sencha libraries but wow would that be fantastic.

Whatty

mitchellsimoens
4 Nov 2011, 6:16 AM
Dont forget Ext-GWT Mitch :)

Java lover :D j/k

mitchellsimoens
4 Nov 2011, 6:18 AM
Having read further into the capabilities of the pending Win 8 platform - this blurs the line between a desktop interface and a "mobile" like interface - which has implications for the distinction between the ExtJS and Touch platforms.

I would love to be able to develop against a single library and target the output based on the device - whether that would be a "standard" mobile, a Win 8 UI, or traditional web app. That would require some pretty heavy lifting on behalf of the Sencha libraries but wow would that be fantastic.

Whatty

Don't think it would be hard... use some meta tags to load certain libraries (or a small bootloading lib) so you can load either Ext JS or Sencha Touch based on device type and then you can load certain applications based on that also.

mschwartz
4 Nov 2011, 6:48 AM
http://jsconf.eu/2011/javascript_the_gnome_way.html

mitchellsimoens
4 Nov 2011, 7:11 AM
http://jsconf.eu/2011/javascript_the_gnome_way.html

If only Linux had a large enough footprint :) Still very cool!

mschwartz
4 Nov 2011, 7:28 AM
If only Linux had a large enough footprint :) Still very cool!

I was just pointing out that Microsoft isn't being innovative here. The ability to JavaScript UI in Linux has been there a while, perhaps even a year or more.

OSX (Lion, I never used earlier versions) has Dashboard widgets that look like they can be scripted in HTML/JavaScript/CSS, etc.

mitchellsimoens
4 Nov 2011, 7:53 AM
I was just pointing out that Microsoft isn't being innovative here. The ability to JavaScript UI in Linux has been there a while, perhaps even a year or more.

OSX (Lion, I never used earlier versions) has Dashboard widgets that look like they can be scripted in HTML/JavaScript/CSS, etc.

I see... don't really care that people steal from each other... just great that Microsoft is actually doing something like this. Want Mac to have full apps not just widgets.

Ekambos
4 Nov 2011, 8:20 AM
Java lover :D j/k

Always :)

dtex-lab
8 Jan 2012, 8:28 AM
Hi
Have someone developed a prototype/example of a Win8 - Metro UI style interface with ExtJS ? 3.x is better
I would like to emulate the new Win 8 start menu.
Any idea or starting point ?
ty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#
15 Jan 2012, 9:31 PM
I like windows 8, i want to use it :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16 Jan 2012, 11:25 AM
It's a good step forward taking on HTML 5, since this looks like to be supported by many other manufacturers :).

jay@moduscreate.com
23 Jan 2012, 9:31 AM

I remember when Microsoft touted their "gadgets" for vista. XD!

jay@moduscreate.com
23 Jan 2012, 9:32 AM
It's a good step forward taking on HTML 5, since this looks like to be supported by many other manufacturers :).
Holy crap, your name is going to be hard to remember.

# Astonia
25 Jan 2012, 8:59 AM
I think the best thing that I can say about Microsoft's Metro UI is that after having used it for almost a year of using it, it still feels new.

mschwartz
25 Jan 2012, 12:44 PM
If it's still Windows under the hood, you will get best use of a quad-core processor. One core to run your apps, the other 3 to run your virus, malware, and spybot checkers.

mitchellsimoens
25 Jan 2012, 12:52 PM
And then dump 8GB of ram at least :)

@mschwartz congrats on passing the 2k mark!!!

Hlebval
3 Feb 2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Gentlemen,

Are you already working on Sencha Touch adoption for Win8\IE10?

Möhre
13 Feb 2012, 1:28 AM
Maybe this is top secret?!

Möhre
21 Mar 2012, 2:00 AM
Now that Windows 8 Desktop and traditional Windows programming is officially “legacy”...
http://blogs.remobjects.com/blogs/jim/2012/03/09/p4057

Are you working on supporting Sencha Touch on Metro?

dawesi
1 Aug 2012, 10:48 PM
I remember when Microsoft touted their "gadgets" for vista. XD!

hahah just like apple have done for over and over... and yahoo and linux, and everyone else for the last 20 years... heck I remember using gadgets back in windows 3.1.1 via installed software.

Now android has them and they are hot again!

dawesi
1 Aug 2012, 10:51 PM
If it's still Windows under the hood, you will get best use of a quad-core processor. One core to run your apps, the other 3 to run your virus, malware, and spybot checkers.

Haven't had a virus, malware or spybot in 14 years on my six windows pcs and 12 servers.

of course mac is no different - apple now offer anti-malware / anti-virus even with the retina that I just ordered.

dawesi
1 Aug 2012, 10:52 PM
Don't think it would be hard... use some meta tags to load certain libraries (or a small bootloading lib) so you can load either Ext JS or Sencha Touch based on device type and then you can load certain applications based on that also.

Ok, so what about if I have a touchscreen laptop, and I want to use both touch and Extjs?

fedecheller
30 Nov 2012, 3:54 AM
If someone is interested, i'm doing that:

CODE
https://github.com/fedecheller/ExtNetModernUI (https://github.com/fedecheller/ExtNetModernUI)

SAMPLE
http://www.cheller.info/extnetmodernui/

(http://www.cheller.info/extnetmodernui/)

SnakeMedia
3 Dec 2012, 11:21 PM
Hello guys,

I would like to say about note because same plugins don't support yet on Metro Apps :(

Flash Player
Silver Light Player ( Microsoft Silverlight )
Real Player
Media Player
Java Applet ( Java Application / Java Lover )
and more different plug-ins
We use only HTML5/CSS3/Javascript1 on Metro Apps. That is .

HTML5
CSS3
Javascript
PHP ( Call into Server or Client via Apache )
ASP ( Call into Server or CLient via Apache )
Thanks for info :)

bsg
6 Dec 2012, 10:39 AM
Yes! Android is hot now!!