PDA

View Full Version : Sencha-Touch2 release date?

perry_jia
22 Nov 2011, 11:07 PM
I really want to know When Sencha dev will release stable version for Sencha-Touch2?

mitchellsimoens
23 Nov 2011, 9:46 AM
NO dates available. PR3 will be coming next week

fieldid
24 Nov 2011, 3:38 PM
Hi Mitchell, I understand not wanting to post hard release dates right now but would you be able to give us a ballpark (i.e. January or Q1 2012 even)?

I am starting work on a project slated for initial release early 2012 and I'm having trouble deciding if we should write in 1 (and then convert to 2) or go directly to 2 (hoping the full release around the same schedule).

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

hjboylan
27 Nov 2011, 11:11 AM
I have the same problem as @fieldid. My company wants to dev using Sencha 2.0, but it's not stable enough, nor is there enough example code out for a full build.

Any clues to PR would be appreciated. :D

juniorplenty
27 Nov 2011, 11:40 AM
hjboylan and fieldid: the lack of guidance from Sencha is pretty universal, don't bother trying to get any date guidance from them.

One thing I'll say after struggling for months with this platform is do NOT try to build an app on v1.x, it's really a beta release and is broken in a million places. If you have to build out now I'd definitely recommend looking at other HTML5 platforms, since you really have no idea when ST2 is going to ship, or in what condition it's going to be in when it does. There are also enough differences between ST1 and ST2 that you're going to have to redo a lot of your code when you switch over, and since a bunch of that code will be weird workarounds for ST1 bugs it's basically a recipe for a bunch of wasted time.

Given the history so far, I think this platform is probably a year from being ready for anything serious, unfortunately.

digeridoopoo
29 Nov 2011, 6:47 AM
Considering it's quite a new framework I think it's great, as long as you read up enough on what you are trying to do on the forum first and can understand some limitations it is great. Also with Ext Designer 2.0 around the corner it's only a matter of time before things get easier to code.

I have looked at other solutions like Wink Toolkit but to be honest Sencha Touch blows that out of the water when it comes to understanding how things are done. Wink toolkit, although very powerful, seems a lot harder to learn.

:-)

elishnevsky
29 Nov 2011, 8:25 AM
Release date doesn't matter. Unfortunately Sencha never releases anything within the promised time limit.

mitchellsimoens
29 Nov 2011, 5:17 PM
Release date doesn't matter. Unfortunately Sencha never releases anything within the promised time limit.

That's why we stopped giving firm dates :) It's just really hard to guess at it as one fix may have serious ramifications. Like there is one on the table right now that may.