PDA

View Full Version : formUpdate and showLoading problem

nvosker
8 Jan 2007, 7:18 PM
Has anyone else come across this issue? I have a form inside a div. I want to do a formUpdate on the div element that the form resides in. If the showLoading is set to true, it wipes out the form element before it can build its parameters from it. In order for my formUpdate to work, i have to set showLoading to false. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

brian.moeskau
9 Jan 2007, 9:39 AM
This is by design. The UpdateManager is designed to be tied to an element that gets updated -- i.e., the contents get replaced. Since the contents will get replaced anyway, it's perfectly reasonable to expect the contents to get replaced by the "loading" message while it's working. If you look in the code, you can verify that it's by design:

In UpdateManager.showLoading, called internally by formUpdate:

this.el.update(this.indicatorText);
You should separate your loading indicator from your form, then use the UpdateManager's renderer to do your data parsing and form updates. Look at examples like the FeedViewer to see how this is done.

jack.slocum
9 Jan 2007, 9:44 AM
As Brian said, it was initially set up that way on purpose. In the latest dev code, it does everything and then shows the indicator so it won't overwrite the form and this would work.

That will be in 0.40.